Adopted a new rattie!! Parasites??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratunda

I just adopted a new boy from a girl that was in desperate need to re-home her rats - I wasn't really ready to get another rattie now, but he really needed help - so, I took him! He is scratching A LOT - ugh - she said he had no parasites and I have looked him over quite thoroughly and cannot see anything - but he keeps scratching. So, what parasites could potentially cross species to my dog and cats - not rat lice as they are species specific - obviously fleas could pass - what about mites?? And would Ivermectin (horse wormer) work for Lice, Mites or Fleas?? Please help!!

Thanks - I have the dose info for the Ivermectin, I would prefer Revolution but I will have to pay for a vet appointment AND buy a whole box which will be very expensive - and I would only need 3 drops - that was why I was thinking the Ivermectin. Do you know of any way to purchase just one tube of Revolution?

Thanks - I have the dose info for the Ivermectin, I would prefer Revolution but I will have to pay for a vet appointment AND buy a whole box which will be very expensive - and I would only need 3 drops - that was why I was thinking the Ivermectin. Do you know of any way to purchase just one tube of Revolution?
I get it at my vet's for my cats and dogs, so they sell it by the tube. Do you know anyone who gets it for their pet?

I've been asking around but can't find anyone who gets it for their cats and dogs - I have Advantage still from last summer for my cats and dog, but I know you can't use that on the Ratties - do you know if any of the Parasites, other that the fleas, can pass from rats to my cats and dog - I know the lice are species specific - but what about the mites???

Does anyone know if rats can get cheyletiella mites? I was reading about them and they sound REALLY nasty - hard to get rid of and affect all species including humans - has anyone ever had these on their ratties - and would Ivermectin kill them?

I'm not sure about that specific type of mites but mites are usually species specific. If ivermectin is all you have then I would dose him with it. I personally order revolution by the box from Australia (Pets Megastore I think) so I always have it on hand for all of my animals. Just something to keep in mind for the future just pay attention to the expiration date so it doesn't go to waste.

I'm not sure about that specific type of mites but mites are usually species specific. If ivermectin is all you have then I would dose him with it. I personally order revolution by the box from Australia (Pets Megastore I think) so I always have it on hand for all of my animals. Just something to keep in mind for the future just pay attention to the expiration date so it doesn't go to waste.
I think I'll use the Ivermectin this time as it would take too long to order the Revolution - but thanks for the advise, I'll look into ordering some for the future - good to have on hand. I REALLY hope they are species specific... we haven't done a very good job of quarantining him - he's so darn cuddly :cheerful:

Does he have scabs on his shoulders, neck, face? Then you are dealing with the invisible (to the naked eye) mites. Hopefully your carefully dosed ivermectin does the trick.
Yep, he has some scabs and that's why I was thinking the mites that you can't see - do you know if they cross species? Could they hop on my dog or cats (or us)? I really hope the Ivermectin does the trick - and I am very careful with the dosage as it does make me nervous - if anything I gave him a little less that required...

Back