Ebony my scaredy rat.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rats en folie

Ebony is about 8 months old. He's a scaredy rat. When another rat goes near him he gets all freaked out and starts screaming. It usually gets my other rats worked up and everyone gets nervous and (or) scared. So far it hasn't started any big fights but a few minor boxing sessions.

He is a bit nervous around me to but he does love to be petted and calms down a bit. My friend had his brother and he was the same way. He ended up being killed by another rat. I'm not 100% sure of the circumstances.

Ebony does cuddle with and sleep with his friends. I'm thinking maybe a neuter will help. Or if I wait it out maybe he'll calm down. I think he's at an age where his hormones are going crazy!

I have 10 boys in a double critter nation. Would that be too crowded? I was thinking maybe adding a third level to give them more room....

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

10 in a double is good if everyone gets along. If you can afford an add on, I'm sure they would love it but again, if they get along fine, a double is perfect.
Your boy might benefit from a neuter for sure. If you have a good vet, I'd go for it.

I have a good vet. I could upgrade to a quad. I have a second CN sitting in the closet. It's just the bedding that will cost me a fortune. I'd have to get extra bases for the second double....I'm still contemplating it.

I have found that ten in a DCN can be iffy if there is any discord. If your bf will object to adding a second DCN, then you could just use the parts from it and add a level to the top of your existing DCN. You would need a step stool for that level, but it wouldn't take up any more space.

I removed Ebony from my group Friday. He was getting worse and Phoenix is full of bite marks :( I'm going to pick up a nice big cage today for him. And I also made an appointment to get him fixed!! :) I can't wait. I got great results when I got Phoenix fixed so I can't imagine how cuddly Ebony will be once his man hormones will be calmed down :)

Si do I. I took him out with the other boys during play time keeping and eye on him. You can't really tell if he's puffy cause he's a patch work ratty. But he walks around the rats and the tension goes up. Rats start screaming and he pushes everyone out the way. I'm sure he'll calm down. I'll definitely keep his post up to date.

Ebony got his man bits removed today :) He's in a tiny hospital cage for the next day or two. :) I so hope this changes his mean ways. Should I wait 3 weeks before introducing him to the group?

I would wait at least a week for his bits to recover from the surgery. Then see how his temperament is. Sometimes they change right away, sometimes it may take a couple of months.

I'll wait til next weekend and see how things go :) If things go good and I put him in the cage with my boys at least I'll be able to watch over him and make sure everything goes well.

So far his boy parts are healing well :) No swelling, the wound is really nice :) He's such a ham with taking his metacam though!! He wont swallow!!! LOL I only have one day of meds left. :p

It's been a bit over a week since Ebony's neuter. I tried introducing him to the gang today and Phoenix and him went at it!! I can't believe that they were once best buds :(

To re-introduce them together would I have to start all over again? I'm going to wait another week and slowly try in intros again.

I would give him more time, he might need a month or longer
and I would start gradual intros using the established intro steps over again from the beginning
Then the intos can progress as fast or slow as needed depending on how it goes

Yes, give it more time, and then start intros like they have never met before. Are the cages adjacent to each other so the scents are familiar?

Back