New rat making noise during sleep. Help?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roflplox

Newbie!
Hey! This is my first time posting, I know there are some other threads regarding an issue similar to this- but the replies (as helpful as they were) didn't do anything to comfort me. Usually I would read something and find a less-stressful reasoning to my issue but not this time!
I digress, I recently bought two rats for my birthday, (4 days ago) I've heard alot about pet shop rats having underlying issues and upon hearing some weird noises coming from my ratties nest box the past few days I began to worry.
It's hard to explain, so I've uploaded a few videos to youtube- as a new owner, I'm really getting myself worked up about this, and have a feeling i'm over-reacting, but I really want to be sure!
It's really quite quiet in the videos, so I apologise!
To any help or reassurance that can be offered- I thank you in advance! <3

Links to videos:
https://youtu.be/C1nIxVnd8Es
https://youtu.be/IHnEO2ibulw

Edit:
I can't hear any abnormal breathing, but they are sneezing quite a lot- I put that down to the new environment though.

Last edited:
I can hear 'monkey noises' in the first video, couldn't get the second to work.
It sounds like a typical respiratory problem, but I'm also wondering if it is like snoring - if he is sleeping on his head or something?
I would give them a week or two, and if the noises have not cleared up, then it's time for a trip to the vet's and some antibiotics.
And of course, if they get worse or start making audible sounds breathing, then go right away.

I actually have a boy that recently started doing the same exact thing while he sleeps..and only when he is asleep! He sounds completely fine when he is awake and I don't hear anything abnormal in his chest for the time being but it is definitely something that I am keeping an eye on just in case it is a sneaky infection of some sort. So if I were you I would just do the same..I at this point have blamed allergy season for most of our sneezes and weird sleep sounds :)

My boy, Carl, does the EXACT same thing. He's done it since he was a baby and seems to mostly be when he sleeps in a "rat ball" on his head. My husband jokes and says we need to get him a tiny CPAP for sleep apnea. In all seriousness, I think it's akin to snoring. It really worried us at first, but he checked out fine and it just seems to be one of his endearing quirks.

While he only does it when he's sleeping, he also doesn't do it all the time. I really think it's based on his position. Like I said, he's done it his whole life (he's going on 2 years old and we got him around 6 weeks) and he's totally fine.

Last edited:
Thank you so much guys! You have no idea how relieved your comments have made me! I feel like a new mother with these two, haha.
I'm still going to keep an eye on both of them, and take them for their first check up just to be one hundred percent.
Rather be safe than sorry! :D

Thanks again! <3

Doesn't hurt to get check ups on new kids :) get a baseline on everyone's health and weight...The vet should even fill out a health record for you if you ask for your records.

Back