wobbly rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raticus

so I noticed one of my ladies Rhoda was acting funny today at play time. she is wobbling around stumbling over seems dizzy almost like she's drunk. I gave her a pumpkin seed to see if she could still eat and stuff and she could, but then she turned around to head back to me and get another and she just fell over. any ideas? I don't know if taking her to the vet is really an option atm but yeah... ideas? help?

she seems to do this thing were she'll lift her head in the air then like flick it down.

She could have a number of health conditions. Three that come to mind are a pituitary tumor, a Zymbal's gland tumor or an inner ear infection. I would definitely take her to the vet. There are medications that can at the very least lessen the symptoms and make her more comfortable. Inner ear infections are often treatable. Plus, I think it always feels good to know what is going on so you can deal with it optimally. (Even if it's bad news, at least you know your rat's options.)

How old is she? It could be something neuro like a pt but again, it could be part of old age. The wobbling around could also be a bladder infection... Can we get a video?

we just decided to take her to the vet, she's not very old on around 8 months. and I'm not positive how to upload videos

That is what I would guess as well at her age especially. Don't worry if she flings her head around more and becomes a bit manic in her movements...some rats get inner ear infection and are affected this way. It is a permanent change but you just worry about curing that bacterial infection in her inner ear. What antibiotics were you given, and for how long?

we were given baytril and a pain killer, and for 3 weeks. which seemed to help at first but now she walks with a very noticeable head tilt..

With a head tilt I usually treat with antibiotics and a steroid to reduce inflammation in the ear. If she is on an NSAID like Metacam, however, it cannot be take concurrently with a steroid.

Inner ear infections can take 4 weeks or even months to clear up
If she is getting worse, then she needs a different antibiotic
such as clavamox

and an anti inflammatory will reduce inflammation and help prevent permanent damage while the antibiotics work.
if she is getting metacam, it has anti inflammatory properties, otherwise a steroid such as predisone might be helpful for a few weeks (needs to be given with an antibiotic and has to be gradually reduced when she stops taking it) but as Joanne said, she can not be on a steroid if she is on an NSAID

Last edited:
Back