why is she barbering?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaz14xxx

Hello, me again...
As you know from last thread 2 of my babies had lump removals on wednesday, they had a cone on for a day, kept in a cage together (but separate from the other 4) for one extra day, and back in with the other ladies on friday.
Alice has been doing really well and the meds sessions have been somewhat of a bonding experience, as shes always been a more reserved rattie. However pandora, i cant help but worry about. Since the cone came off shes been barbering to excess (she never ever has before) shes almost bald sorta just below and to the side of her neck and a patch on her side. Med time has been a bad experience. She knows. Ive tried so many diff things to hide the antibiotic and pain killers in and she wont have it. And ive wasted atleast a day or 2's worth of meds as a result. So it ends up being a syringe in mouth job. Which she obviously hates. (oh so as a side note is 4 days long enough for pain meds after a small abcess removal?)
I love this rat so much. Shes obviously stressed, she never barbers like this! Is this something to worry about? What can i do to help her? Is she just upset from having an op and having a cone that she didnt need to have and then forced meds? And will calm down soon? I did think maybe mites? But she doesnt have scabs and noone else is showing any signs. But she does seem to be scratching more than usual and i have had a case in the past of only one of my girls having a little scab mark. She cant be bored, they have a big cage lots of toys, come out for like 2hours a day.
I really dont know. I want my baby to be happy and not upset with me, we've had such a great bond, i really hope she doesnt hate me after having all the op n cone n meds. What can i do to make her my happy baby again and stop her pulling out all her fur! And she pulled out 1 stitch. (but that was 2 days ago shes left it alone since).

I also just wanted to add that im just assuming this is barbering. I can literally see small chunks of fur on her hammock. This behaviour only seems to be getting worse, 2 days ago there wasnt any bald-ish patches but i did witness her pulling out some fur.

It definitely sounds like barbering and it can be due to the stress she's gone through. Keep her on a routine and lots of interaction and hopefully she'll get passed it. What meds is she on now? Normally it's best to keep them on it for at least a week for something minor.

Shes on clavaseptin 1/2 tab and metacam 0.35 ml
Ok will keep her on the metacam, was hoping a few days would be enough so i didnt have to keep stressing her out at med time. But obviously i don't want her in any pain.
Ill try give her extra extra love and attention, im about to pop out to the pet store, ill find something new and exciting for her aswel. And hopefully this phase will pass soon.
Thanks for your reply.

She did have a whole new cage layout 2 days ago so was hopinh she wasnt bored. But anyway not long got back from shop and added a few things, extra chews, sticks, hanging treat thing. All the rats seemed excited so thats good. Got some empty boxes for rat room will make a box maze tonight. And i might wrap some treat balls for them later too. And ill try getting her out for some 1 to 1 time atleast once or twice a day (in addition to her group playime), try to keep her occupied... I hope these things help. But if she gets any worse over the next few days, ill do them all with a mite treatment anyway i think, ive got a niggling feeling it might be mites even though noone else has shown signs, she just seems to scratch a fair bit.

Back