How to keep ants out of my rat cages!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatPack

So we live were we get outside friends all year round from stink bug,japanese beetles,spider..and most annoying of them all are the ants! Though I am terrified of spiders and the others are slight nuisance, they all pretty much keep to themselves where the ants go everywhere you don't want them! I killed 3 in the bottom cage of my DCN today and I was wondering is there anyway to keep them out of the cages? I don't want them biting the ratties or vice versa. Not sure how safe it is for rats to eat ants..

I'm not sure about the consequences of rats eating the ants but I think I may have a bright (very unusual) idea that worked for my stepmom in the states.

When I went to visit her, I was really shocked by this mass infestation of ants that were crawling everywhere in her kitchen. I mean, they were all over her counters and in the cupboards, I mean everywhere. I said, oh my God how on earth are you going to deal with them without killing them or putting down some kind of poison? The infestation was freaky but I didn't want the ants to die, so she said 'oh, their bowl is empty is all. Watch this'

She got out the maple syrup and filled up a little bowl on the corner. To my amazement, the next day there wasn't a trace of an ant anywhere. They were all feeding out of this little bowl completely out of site lol It was really funny and pretty cute.

Maybe you should try it? You could put down a little bowl of syrup or something sugary, keep it topped up away from the cage and the ants won't go anywhere near the cage. Sounds ridiculous, but it really works.

I'll give it a try :) I definitely don't like killing the little guys cause I know they are just trying to eat haha one was caring a tiny little oxbow crumb! Atleast they were trying to eat healthy :p

Haha oh bless em. I'm sitting here chuckling imagining a tiny little ant carrying a little crumb of oxbow! That's so cute. I really think it'll work. They are just hungry but they won't venture anywhere else if you give them a bowl out of sight. They'll smell it and keep well out of the way. Let us know how you get on with your little experiment :winksmile:

Back