New guy Jack having trouble navigating

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatPack

So the new kids are slowly warming up to me (minus nina) and their new cage (kaytee exotic multi level cage) I just watched Jack walk straight off the first level! He got his right front paw on the ramp and guess he thought he had it and just tumbled head first :( He laid stunned for a moment as I rushed to comfort and make sure he was ok but as soon as he realized what had happened he pulled away from me and of course nina was trying to bite me the whole time (thankfully I have a hoodie on) How do I make the cage safer for him without taking to much space from the others? I don't want him falling from a higher level and injuring himself and I really just don't want him falling at all.If I had to guess an age on him, I would put him at atleast 2 but he has had a rough life so he could be a bit younger than that.I will have the vet try and take a guess on tuesday.

For now I would put some hammocks around to catch him if he goes off the edge again.
It doesn't matter how old a rat is - they shouldn't walk off the edge of a shelf. One of my girls is blind and she is the most agile of all my rats. I wonder if your boy has something wrong like a pituitary tumour. Perhaps you should sit down and really watch him closely and look for signs of a PT. Do the cheerio test too, and see how his coordination is.

I would suggest that you rearrange the cage.

I looked at pictures of the cage on the internet and the ladders do not look very friendly for rats with mobility or cognitive issues.
You might want to replace the ladders (the ones for the CN are pretty good and come with a cloth cover that is useful to elderly rats)
In the past, owners of FNs and CNs have covered ladders with a sock by putting the ladder inside a sock and having the ends that attach to the shelf poke out of the sock. This made ladders easier to climb for older rats.

I would suggest that you add a hammock under the lower balcony so that he will fall into the hammock if he falls.
You could restrict his access to the other levels (if he doesn't climb), by removing the other ladders, until you are able to discover if he has cognitive problems.
Your other rats could access those level by climbing the side of the cage.

If I had that cage, I would create a second full level in the cage with a small space for the ladder
- using the two upper levels and a hammock between them
- using the two upper levels with a 30 in long piece of chloroplast on top of them for the floor
- I would try using the 2 ladders side by side to create a very wide ladder to see if that helps

I will try to cheerio test when he wakes in a bit and do the extra wide level with the hammock.

Ok so this is how I arranged the shelves because well it is the only option because of the doors but I tried to make it as safe as possible with placing ramps to keep him from tumbling off of anything and the igloo in the middle of the bottom ramps so unless Nina moves it which she will haha she runs the cage and herds the boys around it like cattle..they go where she wants when she wants and not before..same with eating and drinking so gonna have to work on that as well amongst all the other issues :) Picture is a bit blurred and I guess upside down.....seriously need to learn how to fix that haha

Cage looks safer, do you find it helps?
You might want to use a water dish that can not be upset, on the bottom level.
Rats need a water dish and Jack might find it easier to use.
You might also want to feed block mush (blocks soaked in cool water) as it is easier to eat and helps with hydration
- all my rats enjoy it in addition to their blocks but it is especially important for elderly, ill, or cognitively impaired rats

Have you noticed any signs of pt?
Is Jack still falling off shelves?
You might want to give him a low hammock that is easy to get in and out of.

Last edited:
I haven't seen him fall again but I know he only goes up on the first shelf now for a drink and then comes right back down...Nina is the only one that actually uses the whole cage, the boys stay in the bottom in their igloo but they are still quite scared of people. I did the cheerio test with him last night and he seemed to be holding it pretty good but he kept his arms laid on the couch..he didn't hold his hands up to him mouth rather took his mouth to his hands..Alex did it the same way. Other than the random falling I haven't seen anything in the boys that is concerning atleast to me..they are older,slower like Honey... There is a hammock in the bottom that could go a little lower but they are scared of those as well lol. Don't think they ever had one..They are scared of pretty much everything the poor guys :(

The definitely have had a tough life and not sure what to think of these people that keep talking to them and giving them yummy treats haha. You can sometimes see that they really want you to pet them but at the last moment they get to scared and run away. I know the vet this week will set us back on what teeny tiny progress we have made with the trust training..it always does haha but they need to be examined and make sure they are good health wise.

Back