Urgent Help Needed for Baby Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanya

Rat Enthusiast
Once again I have rescued a rat. He is almost anorexic and has labored breathing. When I rat phone him he doesn't sound wheezy at all. He has porphyrin coming out his nose and eyes. I am going to force feed him some baby food now to help give him some energy, he has food and shredded chicken in with him. He' going to the vet tomorrow. I just really need to get him through the night. What should I do? :cry3:

20150422_194546.jpg

Did he come from a petstore? if so he could have a virus which could be contagious to any other rat in the house.

he would probably drink chocolate ensure willingly. So I would take that over gatorade,none of my rats would drink it. Scramble eggs, baby food and other stuff similar but he sounds lke he needs mes, and I would watch to make sure no one else shows signs f you have other rats viruses are everywhere right now.

He will not eat anything. I force fed him water and banana baby food. He just stays still with labored breathing. I'm gonna try steam and see if it helps him or doesn't. I'll take him out if he gets worse. I tried to give him dark chocolate but he won't even smell it. He is a far away from my other babies as he can be. I won't go in their room without washing and changing clothes. Every once in a while he bruxes. I can take a video of him if that would help. This is what I get for trying to rescue every rat!

He probably could use some subcutaneous fluids to rehydrate him if he's too weak/tired to drink.
Keep him warm and tell him how wonderful he is, and give him a name so that if he passes, he will have one to tell them at the Bridge...

He is laying in fleece in his cage, tried to give him more water before putting him back for the night. Gave him kisses and the name Mochi. Told him I loved him and what a good boy he was. I really hope he makes it so he can get fluids and go on the road to recovery. Left a bowl of 50/50 water and Gatorade just in case. He is special. I can tell. :confused:

Went to check on him at 1:30am, and he was stiff... R.I.P little Mochi, you were loved and you will be missed. You were a special little boy. :heart: :cry:

I'm sorry it was too late for him. You tried your best and that is all one can ask. RIP Mochi, safe travels to the Bridge.
Thanks for trying. :hugs:

Oh I'm sad to hear this. Yes, thanks for trying to get him well. At least he was loved for the short time he was with you and I bet he knew that. It might be worth mailing the person you brought this little guy from and telling them what a bad way Mochi was in, so bad you couldn't save him in time and he passed away when he should of had some meds a while ago. Maybe then they'll look out for their little ones a bit more?

Rest in peace little one. You were one cute baby boy :flowers2:

Rest easy sweet baby mochi! I am sure he was grateful to be loved in his final hours..unfortunately we just can't save them all because people are heartless and careless but you gave him the best final memories. :) Sorry for your loss!

So very sorry for this loss :(

Unfortunately you are now going to have to wait about a week and a half to make sure that sweet sick baby didn't have a contagious virus (airborne) and infected your residents. You usually see symptoms at 6 days post-exposure or a bit more :(

Poor little angel; obviously, he'd been neglected for far too long before you adopted him. At least he knew love with you, which is what is important. You cared and he knows that.

That is one of those things about rats..They don't need weeks,months or years , they just need a moment when you look into those little eyes and they immediately become a part of your soul.

Truth! And I've got my hands full again. Taking care of an orphaned flying squirrel that some idiot brought to my work for me to take care of! I told them she should have left him where she found him but her daughter found him and didn't remember where he was. Ugh, when will people learn? Here he is, he's a sweet little boy who eats wonderfully. Very different than caring for a baby rat! His head is wet in this photo because he had caked on dirt on his head. His name is Mumbo

20150424_214534.jpg

Back