Waiting to Introduce New Babies OK?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickimagnum

Hi Everyone,

We have two boys, one nakie and one fully furred (lol). The naked one has developed a large tumor on his leg that is inoperable. It's starting to turn black, making it difficult for him to walk, and he's constantly fidgeting with it. He's also starting to lose weight and his skin looks sickly, no matter how much I doctor and moisturize him. So, after conferring with the vet we've made the difficult decision to help him over Rainbow Bridge this Wednesday, which I'm utterly heartbroken about.

We've also decided to get 2 new babies in the near future to keep our remaining rattie company. My concern is, is it okay to wait a couple of weeks before introducing a couple of new babies to our remaining rattie? We are getting ready to go out of town at the beginning of next month for vacation and we are hesitant to introduce new babies to our big boy when we aren't going to be home, although there will be a house sitter present. We want to be able to observe the new rat pack for safety reasons, but we also want the chance to bond with them.

I know rats are social creatures and thrive with those of their kind. I just want to make sure that our boy will be okay without a buddy for a couple of weeks?

You could wait, but what I would suggest is getting the two new rats now, and putting their cage close to your single boy's cage (but not close enough that a tail can get grabbed!). That way your older fellow will get used to the sounds and smell of the new kids, thus beginning intros, and it will help him not be lonely.
I'm sorry you have to say goodbye to your nakie boy. :(

Back