Nakie fuzzbutt Doyle makes his bridge journey

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SterlingRats0408

My sweet first nakie boy Doyle took an early trip to the bridge. He had been struggling with strange abcesses and cysts for months and struggled with his weight. He was on a high caloric diet and ate 4 times a day instead of 2 like the others. He always had a great appetite but recently it was furious and seemed to never satiate him. He could eat all day everyday and never get close to overweight.

He was just a year old :( way too soon.
I got him in March of last year. He was about 6-7 weeks old. He still had some grey peach fuzz on him. As he grey he became nearly hairless with just his few chin whiskers and some fuzz on his feet.
He was always a sweet quiet boy and introd into any group well. He never really seemed to bond to any particular one rat but snuggled with any who offered. I am just glad in hus final moments I was able to snuggle him in my shirt.

He had been getting strange fast growing cysts and abcesses which I would have to compress and clean out when they popped.
The vet couldn't give me any reason for it. But they cleary fed from his own body as when they started he started struggling to keep weight on. The last few days he almost needed constant food. This morning he could not get his temp up and was freezing in the morning despite his cagemates sleeping with him and in a warm room. I put him against my bare skin under my shirt to keep him warm this morning but eventually he just stopped breathing. Again I am just glad I got to spend his last moments with him!
Wee baby 'fuzzmo' as he was first named
f185a92ac099b9509787351ca7d5f923.jpg

Loving yogurt!
29f1d31deb74a78049eea168b3c5d9f9.jpg

Do you like my ner cape? Its warm!
dbf06527f477de0391a01f9f62c123b0.jpg

Getting bigger and losing that peach fuzz
22a12971867e0167adf943cd614be044.jpg

Big wrinkly boy, looking handsome and kissable
77b7c59772223947b64c6340b4c100f6.jpg

Big boy getting new digs giving some newcomers a new friend
7deb3127e25814cff71ae00fc7299449.jpg

81044a6e6b892d83221909cfde03c78d.jpg

Miss you naker boy! Rest well!

It sounds like he had an unusual syndrome going on. I'm sorry he only stayed with you for a year before starting on his next journey. Rest easy handsome boy :heart:

Ya. The vet was baffled and he's still pretty inexperienced with rats as not many come into his office. He usually sees bunnies and ferrets and those larger small pets. He had been researching what it might be but sadly we didn't get an answer.
He would like to do a necropsy. I think that would be a great way to give back to the rat community and get answers to potentially cure the next case.

A necropsy would be great if you can handle it. It is always nice to find out what the source of his troubles was, IF your vet can determine it.

I'm sorry hun. He really does like a lovely boy. That baby pic of him made me say AHHHHHhhhh out loud. I'm glad he got chosen by you. Sounds as though he had a good life. Bet you're wondering what on earth made him so sick though. Rest in peace sweet little guy.

:rose2: RIP Doyle, what a handsome nakie!

Doyle was just a gorgeous nakie boy. I didn't think I'd be able to do a necropsy on my boys, but I did and it helped their siblings that I had and others had. I have two nakie brothers with strange scab areas on their tails that the vets are baffled on too. Your beautiful boys are together now..

Back