Hello new from sw pa

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carabear

Hello, I'm new here and a new rat owner as well. Long story short my younger brothers friend had two little rat girls he was keeping in a 5 gallon tank so they ended up coming home with me. They have been upgraded to a rat manor and we're still learning about each other, right now it seems as though I have one very brave little girl and one not so brave little girl! As of yet they are nameless so I'm definitely open to suggestions.

First up is the brave little one
e32fc9fe5edf2750d46e2259efbf42eb.jpg

8b7b8ee54c6892bc2ed7c38eedbef5c3.jpg

ce3775aa337bb3e2c2adbc98cc73a39f.jpg

And not so brave little one
f50962782179d3941ff48f8a71b0189c.jpg

ae1d07eda146ae11000b79d35938fd80.jpg

86a32a2deec66f108c714bda69dba542.jpg

Congratulations on your new babies! It sounds like they needed a new home. Rats make just wonderful pets, and as you get to know your girls you will fall in love. :)
Sometimes the rats tell me their name, and sometimes I pick a theme like flowers or TV personalities or use a baby name book if I am desperate. LOL
There is so much information out there - have a read through some threads to give you ideas on bonding with your ratties.

There is a thread for rat nicknames that shares a lot of names.
I usually have themed groups. Like my newest additions the 5 miracle boys all names meaning "miracle, gift or blessing" maybe something like Faith and Hope as you gave them hope and they will put faith in you to provide a better life :)
Good job on your first babies and your first step into rat rescue. Thats what we like to see!

Thank you for the welcome. :)

Joanne I have been researching how to bond with them. Right now I'm letting them settle in as the extra room they now have seems to be intimidating them a bit. However I do offer them treats every time I walk by and the brave little girl is already willingly coming to the door for cheerios.

That's great!
I am a firm believer of spoiling them rotten. That way they always want to come to the door to see you. One of the really fun things about rats is that they love a variety of food, so you can treat them a lot without giving them junk food. Yesterday my ratties got a piece of mango - a first for my foster babies. That was followed by a little bit of cheddar. In the evening they got scrambled eggs with some pieces of banana for extra protein for their growing bodies. If it is the first time for a particular food they may be a bit cautious, but once they figure out it tastes good, they love it! :)

The girls will bond to you in no time if they hang out with you. I had a Daffodil too (Daffy)! What did you decide for shy girl?
You should try taking both girls out at the same time. I am socializing some young ones and I have between two and five out at once. I do it in the rat room with the door closed however, so there is no chance of escapees or kitties getting them. Once they are more settled then they may get to go for a ride in the rest of the house. :)

Back