Weird red flecks in my rat's fur?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravveth

17 and mother of two
Recently, I noticed these tiny red flecks in my rex boy Geralt's fur. They aren't attached to the skin, and they're definitely not mites or fleas. My other rat doesn't have them. Any ideas? I can't really take a picture because the flecks are too small. I've been watching him for any changed behaviour but he seems fine, no problems at all. I was thinking it might just be dry skin or something associated to the fact that he is a rex, but I wanted to get a more professional opinion. Any idea what might cause this? Thanks!

If they don't move as previously mentioned and he is older and unneutered it could be buck grease flakea if he has a build up on his skin

It might be oil/dandruff that male rats can sometimes get, but you want to be 100% sure and rule out lice too.

It's def not lice, thank God. I think dandruff is the most likely. He's only 8 months old though...

He's at the prime age to be producing a lot of sebum (buck grease). I would leave it alone and wait for him to clean himself.
Does he have other buddies? Rats will groom their buddies.

My tyrion always had lots of buck grease. Left his white fur coppery red. What I would do if it built up too much was rub him with coconut oil or even just wet him down. Then him and his buddies would groom him nice and clean. 8 months is prime age for the buildup to happen. They'll groom it usually on their own. Tyrion is the only one who has ever needed help.

Back