Why would a cagemate ignore her dying sister?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallblossom

My 18 month old double rex dumbo doe is on my lap slipping away from what I suspect is a pituitary tumor. Her sister is inside my top and not bothering with her dying sister. Why? Both rats got along so well and loved one another.

Both had tumor removal surgery on March 25th, however, the one rat who is dying had terrible bruising. Could she have suffered post op complications? Her incision was tiny. My rats had pain management and oral antibiotics and seemed to have recovered until the one sister showed symptoms of being off balance and slowing down.

I want my dying rat to have the comfort of having her sister around when she passes as well as me - but she doesn't seem interested.

She might just have already said her peace with her sister and is ready to let her go :( I am sure there are other reason but in the end it just comes down to her not wanting to be with her dying sister and there isn't anything you can do but be there but her sister in her last moments and if course with her after if/when she grieves for her...I am sorry that your baby is leaving you...rest easy sweet girl!

I am so sorry to read about your baby, My heart goes out to you.

Each rattie just like each of us experience grief in a different way. I kind of agree with what RatPack said. She surely knows that her sister is about to pass & I can guarantee you that she is experiencing some grief. Hopefully she will not get depressed afterwards because it is so sad to see them like that. Give her lotsa kissies... she knows you are with her & that is the best thing in the world for her right now.

I would think that it is instinctual to abandon a dying rat as they are prey animals and it would put the heathy animal at risk.
Or they just do not understand what dying is so it holds no significance.
Maybe there are nurturers and there are not, and her sister is not.
Or maybe she is so affected by the PT that her sister does not recognize her as her sister any more - it would be like comforting a stranger.
Whatever the reason is, you will be there to send her off on her journey to the Bridge and she will take your love with her.
I'm sorry you have to say goodbye so early.

I'm sorry that you're losing your little one. Many animals go off by themselves when they are transitioning for instinctual reasons and others of their kind often leave them alone. Animals do communicate with one another (and with us) and there may be an agreement between them regarding this matter. Your other little one will feel grief and will require lots of your TLC at that time. My deepest condolences on your situation.

I agree with a lot of this. I am so sorry you are dealing with this and feel you on the loss as I am working day in and day out to keep an ailing PT rat comfortable in his last days. And this is the first time I have seen cagemates/siblings show this much care to their ailing friend.
I have seen several reactions from rats to a dying companion. From absolutely ignoring them and avoiding that area of their space to sleeping in top of a passed away rat. Often I find if we are snuggling the non ill rat goes about their business or cuddles me in their preferred ways and my interpretation of this is that they know their friend/sibling is in good hands or they are sad and also need your companionship right now.

Thanks for the responses. It all makes sense. My rat didn't pass last night and is continually having seizures and looks horrible. I am desperate to have her pts so she can cross over with ease but they're closed on Sunday.

I've looked up methods for home euthanasia with baking soda/vinegar but do not feel confident that the concentrations would cause a pain free death. My girl is suffering as it is and I don't want to put her through any more. She'll be gone soon and I wish I could make it better.

I'm sorry she is taking a long time to pass. It is heartbreaking to watch them suffer like this. Take comfort knowing that your little girl is probably not aware anymore - the PT has already taken her away. Her body just doesn't know to give up yet.
I'm sorry. :(
Do they have an emergency number on their phone message?

I've looked up methods for home euthanasia with baking soda/vinegar but do not feel confident that the concentrations would cause a pain free death. My girl is suffering as it is and I don't want to put her through any more. She'll be gone soon and I wish I could make it better.

I am so very sorry,
and you are right, there is no humane way to do it at home

My dying rat showed symptoms a week ago. One of her symptoms was 'shaking of the head' the same way a dog shakes his/her head to get water off.

I noticed her sister is doing this 'shaking'. Does it mean she too has a pituitary tumor? My goodness, I tried to make their lives comfortable with mammary tumor removal surgery less than a month ago. If I knew this would be their fate I would have left them alone.

fallblossom, there is no humane way at home. :(
You'll have to find an emergency vet that is willing to do it the correct way- with gas anasthesia, and THEN(once the rat is 100% unconcious) an injection.

As for your other girl, head shaking could be a PT, or even an inner ear infection if I'm thinking correctly. You should probably take her to the vet, because the latter is treatable, and PT can be slowed or it's symptoms can be lessened for quite a while on the right medication. Give it a shot, I'd say...

I'm so sorry. I too have had beloved rats that took longer than I hoped to pass. Every minute feels like an eternity. bbviously you want them to die at home in your arms, but sometimes it takes longer than it seems and it's hard to make a judgement when you're highly stressed too.

Just try your very, very best to relax. I know it's hard, just hold her, relax and try to let go of the pain. She will go soon it sounds like. I wish I could it explain it better (sorry I'm doing a bad job) but It really helped me to try to relax when I've been in this situation. It's an incredibly stressful place to be and one of the worst things I've ever felt. I too looked for ways in sheer desperation for a quick home euthanasia, but theres no real option and my friend talked me out of it. Thank god he did because I would of regretted it and made a bad job it. I was desperate though and wanted to help out of love. But unless you can get your baby to a vet, you just have to be patient, keep calm and breathe. Be at peace as much as you can right now. You're not alone, many of us have been there and we know exactly what you're dealing with and how it's making you feel.

Just when you think you can't hold on a moment longer, you will look down and she will be gone.

She will go soon it sounds like. Not long now, hang in there. Thinking of you xx

My dying rat showed symptoms a week ago. One of her symptoms was 'shaking of the head' the same way a dog shakes his/her head to get water off.

I noticed her sister is doing this 'shaking'. Does it mean she too has a pituitary tumor? My goodness, I tried to make their lives comfortable with mammary tumor removal surgery less than a month ago. If I knew this would be their fate I would have left them alone.
I would first suspect an inner ear infection. Either way, have the vet assess her. Even with a PT, sometimes you can get months more with medication.

Back