Have NO idea what's happened to Matthew!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Rats

Tuesday night I took him out of his cage & within about 2 minutes he started squeeling - actually screaming! He did this for a good 20 seconds non stop. It was the most gut wrenching screaming I have ever heard any animal make! His mouth opening & closing (just like a dog's would) as he was screaming with extreme agony. Also he was making biting motions as if maybe he thought something was causing him to hurt. I could see in his little eyes that he was in some kind of severe pain/distress as this was going on. A couple of times he might have licked at his lower abdomen right near his testicles after the episode was over.
Well - after this stopped - I immediately gave him some pain meds & have started him on Baytril. I have not heard a sound out of him since, HOWEVER, he is not eating much & gets around slowly. I have moved his hammock about 1 inch from the cage bottom & have divided the cage that he & his brother Luke share. Matthew seems to get annoyed having another near him. ANY SUGGESTIONS?!? This sucked so much & I have not a clue as to the reason.

Possible kidney stones, urinary tract infection; get xray of abdominal area. Is he urinating normally? Drinking normally? His reaction indicates acute pain at the time. Time for a vet visit, me thinks.

I think I might lay down some white paper towels as his flooring & see if urine looks off color. Thanks - good idea.

A seizure...I don't think so. Seemed kinda odd for a seizure.

I tell you one thing, I have had 2 kidney stones in my lifetime & I wanted to DIE rather than feel the pain!!! The stones only hurt while they are travelling. Once in the bladder it subsides & if small enough they can be passed easily. He has been drinking quite a bit of water. Seems to be peeing normally. Pooping normally.

I wonder, would Baytril work or does it have to be Clavamox?. I have been alternating pain meds w/ infant motrin.

I have an update :: last night while he was hangin out w/ me, he made a couple of very low sqeeks & then he kept messing around near his "man area" - THEN he pulled out a poop & tossed it!!!. Maybe possibly he might be a bit constipated? It was not a moist poopie, kinda really dry.

Would it hurt @ all to try a laxative or stool softner? What can they use over the counter? C/b maybe he has both going on ? These rats are gonna be the death of me!:crazy3:

try the baytril...and make sure he gets his pain meds on time and higher doses, like post-op dosages...

he may not have been drinking much since it hurts to walk, so the dry poop may just be another symptom. Put the food and water bottle as close to where he is, as possible.

Treat him like an old invalid. Do not be surprised if he ends up seeming a bit paralysed in his hind end...a weird side-efffect with some males.

Baytril has been working for our Peanut and his stinky winky, but he's hasn't actually been diagnosed with a UTI. Kona had a UTI and stopped using his hind end until we got him tramadol for pain. I believe pumpkin is suggested for constipation. Hope he feels better soon.

All my rattie forum friends - I am so happy to report that Mattie is as if he was never ill !!!:cheering: Just about 2 hours ago I had him out w/ me & he produced a very nicely wet STINKY poop that was discusting! I am actually happy about that, but I know ya'll can totally relate. So I cleaned him up & put him back in his cage. I went to check on him about 30 mins ago & he was up eating and wanting out. I let him out & he climbed up to the top story where his bro Luke is, climbed in and wanted to stay there. His eyes are bright ( ya'll know that little twinkle they get when recovery is at hand ) and he looks so much happier than he did. I will keep the Baytil going for a while - but it must be working. I might cut back on the infant Motrin .

So in celebration of Matthew's quick recovery - I bought some fleece from Joanne's today. Another 60% off :-D.

We got the Noah's ark pattern -- Mattie is "modeling it" for you.

And some pics of him & his bro Luke trying to eat very healthy;) after all they are getting elderly @ 2yrs old now:love11:

They are both so cute! Sometimes a bit of coconut oil can lubricate for constipation and is also a general good immune system booster. Works well on any skin scratches too. Glad your little one is feeling better!

Well .....his issue is back !! Didn't need my alarm clock this morning - I woke up to him sreaming :eeek: . . . LOUD @ 6:30 am. I knew it was Matthew. I gave him pain meds & started him back on Baytril. I think actually that it may be my fault it came back. When I say "it" I believe it is a urinary tract issue. I took him off the antibiotics too soon. Had a feeling I did & was gonna start him back a bit longer then forgot - uggghhh! I feel like a crappy mom at this moment, :sorry: Matthew.

the forum is all jacked up lookin .....can anyone see this message ???
LilspazI took Matthew off of pain meds within just a few days becuz he definately was not in anymore pain.I kept him on antibiotic for about 2 weeks. Same amount of time my doctor would give for me, but I know now it was not long enough. I hate keeping them on too long - but what is the right amount of time? I know urinary infections are stubborn/

Last edited:
Yes I see your post, forum is different again (tapatalk)! Couldn't get on at all yesterday. Poor Matthew - if UTIs are like URIs you need minimum of 4 weeks. Are you sure he hasn't hurt his back or something else?

Yes I see your post, forum is different again (tapatalk)! Couldn't get on at all yesterday. Poor Matthew - if UTIs are like URIs you need minimum of 4 weeks. Are you sure he hasn't hurt his back or something else?

Nope , no back injury. I have had all their hammocks about 2-3 inches off the bottom since his last "incident" just to make sure. I am really leaning toward the UTI & me not keeping him on meds long enough. He is exactly as he was last time. No more screaming out - just taking it easy. And like last time, he does not care if he poops in his hammie for the first couple of days. He will sometimes pick up the poo & toss it out of the hammie. That cracks me up! He is doing pretty good now. I have him on infant Motrin...actually it helps more with this than the prescribed pain meds. Must have something to do with it helping swelling..dunno.

Back