Testicular Abscess?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkh612

Does this look like an abscess possibly forming? I've had a few rats, but never one with an abscess so I'm unsure if this is one or just a cut. He's been gnawing at that area a little more while he's cleaning himself and he's started developing plugs again. I think it's just paranoia because I've never seen a cut there! But I wanted to post this for clarification :) He's about 1 1/2 years old. Also if it is just a tiny cut is there anything I can do to get him to stop picking at it?

2h71gxv.jpg

This was the bet shot I could get. Sorry if it's a little big, had to upload from phone!

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
That looks like a small injury, a healing cut that's not healing fast enough so he's licking it a lot. Stopping him from licking it is next to impossible. I would just keep an eye on it. Maybe flush it a couple of times with warm water and salt.

I think as a general rule boys don't get testicular abscesses unless they have had complications from a neuter, or a bite injury to their scrotum.

So, it turns out the reason he's been picking at that area is because he has an infection in his left testicle that's moved to his secondary sex glands. He's been on antibiotics for over a month now and hasn't responded to them. They said the only other option at this point is to neuter him or to just keep him on antibiotics and meloxicam and ride it out. He's 1 1/2 though and I'm worried about how he'll handle that procedure. What are your thoughts on neutering at his age? Thanks for all of the responses! You guys are wonderful :)

The other option is to do a culture and sensitivity test. That way you find out what bacteria are present, and which antibiotic is the most effective.

I'm very curious how they diagnosed the infection? And how the vet can be sure that neutering will rid him of the infection?

If I was sure it would going to rid him of the infection I would go for the neuter. If not I'd do the culture and sensitivity test as Joanne suggested.

They performed an MRI in response to his lower abdomen being bloated for a few weeks now. They also said that the area that's infected is roughly three times larger than what it should be. So apparently very infected. They just started him on TMS (48mg/ml) but my god does he hate the stuff! We're hoping to see if that changes anything before they consider neutering. I will definitely ask about the test you're mentioning if he doesn't respond to this. I don't want to have to put him through neutering :( And the cost is a crazy amount for a poor college student! Is there any better way to administer TMS than through an oral syringe? He has a real problem with taking it.

Last edited:
I recently had to take my Mamoru in for testicular abcess that formed ~6-8wks after neuter. They opened him up and vacuumed him out and now he's good...on baytril for a while tho. Baytril seems to be a go-to for adult rats. My vet gives it out in a cherry flavored syrup, but he still doesn't like that so I mix it with coffee creamer and that works. You may try that. If this is a recurrent issue with your boy...for example, if the infection may have something to do with the plugs that keep coming back somehow...neuter may be your best option. I know it sounds like a lot, but I'm pretty frugal cashwise and have managed to do this for many of my boys. It can really help them. Moru is the only one I've had who had any complication and it's not even that bad..just required draining... best of luck with your little guy!!

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm going to continue the TMS and see how he responds! Hopefully this one works better than the others.

So I've been giving him the antibiotic and he hasn't gotten any better. He's chewed another cut closer to his actual penis and continues to make the one on his testicles worse. His testicles seem to be getting a little purple? Would you suggest neutering at this point? I'm very nervous that he won't make it at his age.

If he is in good health other than this issue I would go ahead with the neuter. Is the testicle cool to the touch, turning purple would concern me that the blood flow is compromised. You need to let his vet know asap. Hope he is alright - I know about "gonad" problems out Clark has an allergic reaction to stitches after a neuter... Good luck little guy..

I think a fluid-filled space would show up differently than a solid mass, unless things just aren't far enough along yet to differentiate.

I'm starting to serious consider neutering. He's opened up the cut on his testicle and keeps picking at it and making it bleed. I'm still so worried about the implications, though. Is there a strong chance he'll live through it? I've heard so many bad stories :\ Especially at his age. (18 months)

There is always a risk, and it is much higher with rats than it is with cats or dogs.
Neutering is not as risky as spaying because they usually neuter through the end of the scrotum instead of opening up the abdomen. The vet that does the surgery should have a good track record WITH RATS. Success with other animals does not mean they will have success with rats. (Personal experience!)
I have had tumour removals at 2 1/2 years old though, so if he is bright and healthy, then don't worry about his age.
It is sounding like he is going to need one...

Back