Tyrion's Heartbreaking PT diagnosis! :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SterlingRats0408

Today I got such heartbreaking news!
My sweet Tyrion who I have had since November 2013 when he was an itty bitty 7-8 weeks has been diagnosed with PT!
He has been digressing so quickly.
I only noticed a week ago that he was a little off his normal chill self. He bit my fiance's ear. Which he has never done. He was acting like a baby rat who doesn't know better.
So I kept watching him in a smaller play group and he was falling over all the time. If he wasn't on a perfectly flat surface he was teetering
I took him to the vet today and it was confirmed. He's on meds and I'm hoping it slows it down. Tonight he seems that much work. The trip to the vet took a lot out of him. He couldn't even shell a sunflower seed :( I'm so sad my baby boy is nearing his end! He will be 2 sometime in July (birth date unknown)!
He's kind of been my heart rat since Sterling. Tyrion chose me when we went to pick up Boots, he climbed my arm and sat on my shoulder like "OK where are we going?"
I don't know what I'll do!! I am worried Boots will get really depressed or more aggressive then he's been. Odin is still young and spry. I may work on introducing baby Neo when he's bigger so Odin will have a little "brother" but I'm so overwhelmed with the thought of losing Tyrion!!
I'm in tears...I know this group has people who won't look at me like I'm nuts for being so sad.

On the trip home! (11/2013)
cda3e2bcf6e918b6602b2c6eccaa7bcb.jpg

Checking out his new digs (11/2013)
f1e68eb792da91080e943334bb1c0d7d.jpg

Snuggles on the couch (06/2014)
1571fd410263a3cd51a9121a9b8b31bc.jpg

Last edited:
I think most of us understand the pain of losing a heart rat or even just the thought of it and definitely won't look at you like you are nuts....I cried every night that moose was sick though it was only 4 days and for days after he was put to rest...there were moments I honestly didn't think I could breath without him and everyone did look at me like I was nuts haha even now just talking about it I am tearing up...

Is Tyrion on steroid therapy or bromocriptine? Did he get a steroid injection to start? Let's wait and see if he responds before worrying about any future intro plans...fingers crossed

They gave him a steroid shot and he's on Bromo.
It was just such devastating news.

Best way to start...how is he doing now? Still dozy and wobbly? Watch for ANY improvements...a bit more brightness and awareness in the eyes, a little more adept when moving etc? Less hunched, head down posture, less wobbling/falling...anything. It gives you an idea at how well he's responding and if you are dealign with a regular prolactinoma. IF you see a little improvement but it eventually regresses after 4 days, then the bromo is not working well, and you might need to consider steroid therapy instead...as its the wrong type of PT for these medications...but its early days yet.

Thanks for giving me little things to look for. He sat this morning and managed to eat some kamut puffs without losing balance as quickly. He's a bit dozy and slow but the jerky movements have subsided.
I'm toying with what cage set to do for him and who to keep around with him. He's been with Little Boots his whole life and Odin just over year now. Odin is still only 1.4 and spry. I have a long rabbit cage coming on the weekend. Which I want to set up for him so he is not in a tall cage anymore. He doesn't like to go up to the 3rd level at all. The other boys seem to be staying close to him and not leaving him to sleep alone on the second level hammock. Do you think I should intro some 8mo-1 yr old with Odin and leave Boots and Ty alone or intro a youngen or two into their group? I've never had a group together this long!
Would it be too stressful on Ty to have young bucks running around?

I have not dealt with PT this progressive before. He seems to be having trouble chewing anything harder then scrambled eggs :( he was starving just now and plowed through about half an egg, a baby tomato mushed and some kale. He has trouble with the kale and even sometimes seemed to have too much egg in his mouth to handle.

Do you have him on antibiotics? I would also have him on pepcid or something like that since the meds are hard on their tummies. We just got liquid pepcid from the vet. I'm sure you know not to mix metacam with the dex. I know you can give SQ fluid (sorry, brain not working too well right now - your a RN right?) - my PT rats tend to stop drinking. We would have to syringe feed our boys - sometimes three times a day and those feeding could over an hour each time. PT ratties lose weight so rapidly - I make a mix of 1 box of baby rice cereal, 12 scoops powdered soy formula, and cup or 2 of ground up oxbow and put in air tight container. I then will mix that with water or ensure. I wish you and Tyrion the best

I'm not a nurse or vet tech. I work in the pet care field though. What constitutes subQ fluids? Is that from a hospital or vet office only? I'm in Canada so most things are not accessible if labelled for medical use.
Sometimes I can find vet products at tractor supply (TSC) what would I look for? I'm comfortable doing that for him. Once I have the money I'm going to school for veterinary medicine.
I haven't been able to get to the store to stock up on baby cereal and soy formula for him. He is definitely hungry.
He is just on the Bromo now. Vet wants to see how that goes for 10 days unless he takes a bad turn. My vet has never fully treated PT before as no patient has ever opted to try and prolong life. They usually euth a PT case.
This is new to him(vet) And myself. I think I'm teaching him more then anything. I knew Bromo was what is used for PT.

Except for modifying their cage in case of falls, I do not change their living arrangements. They are already confused, so it's nice to keep them with their family. Most of my ailing rats will separate themselves from the group if they find it too uncomfortable sleeping in a pile, so I make sure there are lots of alternative sleeping places available.

Thanks Joanne. I was worried about taking him out of the cage he's been in most of his life. Once I changed cages on them back before Christmas and they hated it. He has been sleeping in some funny places. He was totally exhausted after eating his big dinner tonight. Just crashed out right inside the door of the cage. My poor baby!

Sub-Q or sub-cutaneous fluids are usually sterile lactated ringer given under the skin with a sterile needle. Best to go to the vets and have them teach you first, and then get the supplies from them.

Alright confused you with someone else, told you I wasn't thinking right at the moment. You can have your vet teach you how to inject fluid into him with a syringe - otherwise, you will need a needle-less syringe and try to give him 10 Ml of fluid three times a day (30 total) if he isn't drinking on his own. Pedialyte, coconut water, water, etc. Usually I just use water. If you give SQ fluids I believe its lactated ringers, but you can give normal saline - these can also be obtained from your vet. You can syringe feed him baby food, water soaked oxbow (or whatever you give), ensure. I have learned though, don't try to feed them whatever your putting the bromo in. The bromo tastes bad so they will refuse that. Feed slowly so he doesn't choke on it since he might have swallowing problems. I give my PT rats anything they will eat. Metacam cannot be given with dex - so if you give any you will have to wait 72 hours before he can be given a dex shot. My last boy with PT seemed to be in pain and he also came down with a URI - which reminds me that you will need to catch for penis plugs quite often - anyway, we had him on tramadol for pain. He needs to be on antibiotics once steroids are started since that compromises the immune systems. PT rats are a lot of work, but if you can get the symptoms under control and get more quality time with your boy it will be worth it.

EDIT: My first PT boy went blind and I had no idea. I let him walk off the end of the couch - Twice!! I suck - I know....

He is drinking some coconut water now. He's still working away on the egg. His brothers are being so caring and not taking it from him. Melting my heart!
He takes the bromo well in vanilla coconut milk. I drink it often so its always around.
Can you give Baytril, amoxicillin or Doxy with the Bromo safely? I have those antibiotics on hand always.

The first thing I did was check for plugs. Everyday several times a day I will check for plugs.
Should he be on pain meds or only if he shows signs of pain?

I think his vision is going he slipped off the end of the chair twice. (Only a 3 inch drop) and he goes into everything teeth first if it remotely smells like food. Gotta watch my fingers.

Thank you all! I feel so supported through this!!

Aw poor baby! I'm so sorry that you got this news. But I hope he hangs in there and improves, even if its slight. :)

Do you have a blender of some sort? When I have rats that have troubles eating I mash all of their food, and make them a blended veggie mix, and a fruit mix. They usually love it. :)

Soak his lab blocks into a soft watery mush, then he'll be able to slurp it down and get some fluids as well. His diet will be balanced as well. Leave him in his current cage, but no intros at this point. All those abs are fine to use with bromo

Back