Hope ...Phantom pregnancy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petlover

Our rescue rattie Hope seems to be going through a false pregnancy ... She had an op to rid her of 2 tumors a week ago (These were around her abdominal area) but has started acting up in a typical false pregnancy way...Tail carrying , stashing, running around nest building and now ear biting of her fav cage mate Cotton...Tonight it seemed more intense so we have decided to separate her from her cagemates, We know she cannot help the way she feels but it is more for Cottons safety and comfort that we have done this...I would like to know should she be away from them during playtime and how long will she need to stay seperated?

I wouldn't separate her at all from her buddies. How old is she? A change in behaviour could also mean something neuro is going on.

she is approx 6 month old and if you read her sad story was rescued wandering down a roadside...We have had to separate her as she is biting at the ears of the oldest girl Cotton...I think it is just to join her in the nest prob looks worse than it is but don't want it to get bad..no blood so far so had to stop before goes too far...she rests most of the time so I dont consider it Neuro...her behavior is typical of a pregnancy and as her op was in this area I think it has triggered a false pregnancy especially with her younger cagemates showing seasonal / hormonal signs too

Back