Sad night.. :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omgolivia123

My two sweet babies passed away tonight. My mice. Not rats.

But I was curious about something really strange. They have been together since birth and with me almost as long. They were old. Oreo passed away first. Smokey passed away a few hours later, close to Oreo. But she completely buried herself. I don't know what this meant? Did she know she was dying? Did she just give up because she lost Oreo? When we found smokey, she was still soft. But she wasn't breathing and didn't move. Oreo was completely stiff like she had been dead a few hours. We found them at the same time. I just.. I don't understand why Smokey did that? She has never done that. I couldn't find anywhere any explanation, if there even is one. I know this is a rat forum but I know they have similarities.

All of this just really breaks my heart. :(

My two sweet babies passed away tonight. My mice. Not rats.

But I was curious about something really strange. They have been together since birth and with me almost as long. They were old. Oreo passed away first. Smokey passed away a few hours later, close to Oreo. But she completely buried herself. I don't know what this meant? Did she know she was dying? Did she just give up because she lost Oreo? When we found smokey, she was still soft. But she wasn't breathing and didn't move. Oreo was completely stiff like she had been dead a few hours. We found them at the same time. I just.. I don't understand why Smokey did that? She has never done that. I couldn't find anywhere any explanation, if there even is one. I know this is a rat forum but I know they have similarities.

All of this just really breaks my heart. :(

I find they dig themselves down into their bedding before dying sometimes. I am sorry you lost both your old babies at the same time.

This is really sad. I'm sorry for you hun. That would of really upset me too. But at the same time, I would of found great comfort in the fact that they went together and I'm sure it was very peaceful. I did have a look on the net for you to find out why mice would do this, but I couldn't really find out why, just that they do. I am very curious as to why they do this.

I had a wild mouse once, that I used to feed (I know, I'm too bloody soft!) and I have some huge wicker chairs with big chunky cushions outside on the balcony. I was cleaning some leaves off the chair one day, and I discovered my little mousey friend sandwiched in between the cushions and she had passed away quite some time ago. I was very glad and very impressed (smart little things) that she had found a snuggly and comfortable place to spend her final moments. Bless her little heart. I used to make her banana bread and all sorts when I was ratless lol.

So maybe it's a comfort thing and they want to pass away securely and peacefully?

Sorry again for your loss. Mice are very sweet.

I am so sorry for your losses.
Sometimes, when animals hurt or simply sense something "is off", they think they can physically hide from it, hence your little one nestling down in the bedding.
Again, I am sorry *hugs*

Back