New home Sneezing or Myco?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazimo

This is the sounds my boy Sly is making and I'm really worried about him. I took him to the Vet about a week ago where they checked him out and listened to his lungs etc. He was given the all clear on his lungs but the vet prescribed some antibiotics for the sneezing. After giving these meds up until today it seems like his sneezing was getting more frequent and worse and now he's making these sounds... And I have noticed on occasion that his nose is stained with Polyphrin but not much. He is still active and eating/ drinking but I'm really starting to worry now. Any idea's? I know I probably need to take him back to the vet but people on forums etc think it's still new home snuffles....

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR2jg3AXVzQ[/ame]

How long has he been on the baytril?
It's hard to tell from the vid, could be dry sneezes but i thought I heard some congestion there.
What dose are you giving for the baytril? That would be the preferred med for this anyway but given for at least a month.
So Ronaxan is Doxy... you got a good combo for him, just got to do it longer.

Was he improving on the meds?
If he was, then like Jorats said, he needs to be on them for at least 4 to 6 more weeks

If he was not improving,
then I would suggest baytril + azithromycin (10mg/Ib), orally, twice a day for at least 6 weeks (if it is helping)
Azithromycin is purchased from a pharmacy by prescription from the vet (once mixed it is good for 10 days)

If you give us his weight and the dosage and strength of the meds, people can check to make sure he is not being underdosed

If he is congested, he may need Lasix short term but you would need to watch out for dehydration as it kills

He is currently on 0.8 of bacteria and 0.5 of roman but they don't seem to be helping much and Im starting to wonder if something in the environment is causing it. Though when he sneezes they are wet

Well right there you can rule out new home sneezies as they are rapid and dry, any congestion and it's a respiratory infection. Do you have the concentration on the bottles (Mg/ml)? The weight of your boy and the dose you are giving plus how often?

Well right there you can rule out new home sneezies as they are rapid and dry, any congestion and it's a respiratory infection. Do you have the concentration on the bottles (Mg/ml)? The weight of your boy and the dose you are giving plus how often?

The Baytril is 2.5% concentration and the Roxan is one fifth of a tablet in 20ml of water. Both a given twice daily.

He weighs about 300kg.

The Baytril is 2.5% concentration and the Roxan is one fifth of a tablet in 20ml of water. Both a given twice daily.

He weighs about 300kg.

Just caught him making this sort of noise. It's not constant but the fact he sounded like this at all is ringing alarm bells for me so I'll be booking a vets appointment tomorrow

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21-pn5KRY-A[/ame]

Last edited:
100mg per tablet.

Although it seems today he has been sneezing less than he normally does. So hopefully its now starting to take effect though I will be asking for a longer course when he goes for his follow up check just to be on the safe side and make sure it's sorted.

I just went back and read your post again..you said 1/5th of a 100 Mg tab, which is now 20 Mg dissolved into 20 ml of water giving u 1 Mg/ml doxy?? His dose would be 1.5 ml twice a day...are you putting it in his water source?

No When I give him his meds. I syringe it into a small portion of baby food and spoon feed him the mix, that way I know its getting into his system. The two other boys don't get medicine they don't currently need and I don't have to fight to get it in his mouth.

No When I give him his meds. I syringe it into a small portion of baby food and spoon feed him the mix, that way I know its getting into his system. The two other boys don't get medicine they don't currently need and I don't have to fight to get it in his mouth.

What I need to know is HOW are you making up the ronaxan? One 100 tab with 20 mls of water. Or 1/5th of a 100 Mg tab mixed with 20 mls of water?

I mix 1/5 of a 100 tab with 20 mls of water.

Did your vet give you this dose because unless you are giving that poor rat 1.5 ccs twice a day it's useless to him. That is 1 and a half syringe fulls. Right now. I am not surprised hes not getting better. What dose (ml or cc) are u giving for the Baytril?

It was 0.08 but after one of your previous post I upped it to the measurement you suggested of 0.12.

He actually now seems a lot better. He dosent have sneezing fits anymore just the occasional one or two and his breathing has returned to be almost non audible. His sneezes when he does though are still wet (droplets) so I will still be taking him for a recheckup on Friday.

Back