Fattening her up

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little_Vixen

Liza (formerly Bearbear) is a bit on the skinny side. She was an accidental momma (got into the male cage twice at the previous owners) She assured me that she keeps them separate so she isn't pregnant, but I'm kinda worried and she's alone in our room for the next few weeks to make sure. I have a scale to monitor her weight just in case.

Besides eggs and banana, what are some fatty ratty foods I can give her? Not on an if she's pregnant scale but to get her from a skinny to healthy scale.

Is she skinny (you can feel the bones right under her skin, and she looks unhealthy to the eye?) or is she a lean mean running machine type of girl...they are very racy, but have a thin layer of muscle under the skin, and feel strong when held not frail.

She doesn't necessarily -look- really skinny, but she feels it. You can feel the bones right there and she feels a little frail. Frail is a good word for it. She hasn't really used the saucer wheel while we are around so not sure, we have only had her for a few days so we are still gauging her personality.

If you just feed her normally, she will gain weight. Free-choice blocks of course, and perhaps a taste of your supper every night as well as lots of healthy food. You don't want her to gain *fat*, you want her to gain back her muscle and condition. She will on her own, but it takes time to rebuild muscle. A healthy diet and exercise will bring back her condition.

Skinny is a good thing. But if you are seeing her bones, then it's becoming emaciated but if you don't see her bones, you want to keep her slim. I'd skip the egg, she doesn't need high cholesterol or fat. The olive oil is good fat so if you really feel she needs it, then you could give her that.

@Jorats: she's skinny in a way where she feels too skinny on top. The only way I can put it is I can gently pet her and feel lots of boneyness. It feels too skinny.

I currently have her in a bonding pouch I literally just whipped up and will be sneaking her some banana chips since all the rats in the house seem to enjoy those. She is on a staple diet of oxbow regal rat and we have a cucumber for the near future.

... I think this bonding pouch is the only time I've seen her not avidly energizer bunnying around.

Back