Obese rats when I came home from vacation

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dell126

I left my rats in the care with a friend who owns rats while I went on vacation. I showed her how much to eat but they were DEFINITELY overfed. Peanuts, steel cut oats and dried pasta that should have lasted over a month were all fed to them in 7 days. I think her kids might have helped her. My rats and now visibly wayyy bigger. My baby Marceline looks obese. Is there anyway to turn this around?

Yes, weight comes off soooo much slower than it goes on. But their new big cage will have them excited, and they'll race around it. That will jump start them back to a more normal balance between intake and exercise.

You could also try making some foraging toys. You can put some veggies and a portion of their rat blocks in an empty cardboard egg carton, and then stuff it with toilet paper. That way they have to work for their food a bit, and then they get to play with the fun toilet paper afterwards! It's good mental stimulation for them too to try and solve it rather than just waddling over to their food dish like my boys are prone to do!!

You could also try making some foraging toys. You can put some veggies and a portion of their rat blocks in an empty cardboard egg carton, and then stuff it with toilet paper. That way they have to work for their food a bit, and then they get to play with the fun toilet paper afterwards! It's good mental stimulation for them too to try and solve it rather than just waddling over to their food dish like my boys are prone to do!!

That's a cool idea--I'll have to try it, too!

3 large blocks each should do it. But you can change that, if you see they are losing too much weight, become sluggish, up their food. If it's too much, reduce more.

Back