Hello from Colorado!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sekhet

Obviously the name says Sekhet so I am Sekhet. I have owned rats in the past (One female and two males) and recently, after the passing of a semi feral cat, adopted two boys, a 7 month old named Witwicky and a 1 1/2 year old albino named Optimus.

Maaay be in a bit over my head with Optimus but we have made great strides recently! Wicky is an absolute doll, curious, inquisitive and very lovey. Optimus though was poorly socialized (first year he was with one other rat in a petco and they couldn't give him away due to his biting...), cage defensive and refused to leave his cage. Now he's running around rampant on my bed and couch though we are being very careful about keeping bare skin covered, and he's been snuggling up to my side when he decides play time is over.

I am absolutely infatuated with my boys...and I hope to start an introduction with the boys soon...but not until I am confident Optimus's aggression has indeed laxed as compared to what he was when I first worked with him.

Wicky in the meantime? My hyperactive lovebug :) And he ADORES chasing my long haired black cat around and burying his little face into his tail.

The image below is of Wicky, as soon as I figure out how to get images off of my phone I'll be thrilled to post one of Optimus (he needs a bath but...not until I am, again, confident in the two of us to be able to handle it).

Looking forward to meeting each of you!

11073493_10205325242185884_80899894186952073_n.jpg

Hi and welcome to the Shack! Optimus sounds like a very lucky boy having found his forever home with someone who is willing to put the time in to find the sweet boy underneath the rough exterior. Kudos to you - I hope he learns to trust soon and realizes how great humans can be.
I guess Wicky is there to make sure you don't lose sight of how wonderful ratty company can be. He's a sweetie :heart:

Thank you for your welcome!

Both of my boys are lucky I think, I was not sure what the woman planned to do with them if she didn't find a place for them? And with Optimus's biting, I'm not sure of where he'd of end up. I'm glad I'm getting a taste of that sweetheart in him, and perhaps that is Wicky's role? He is a doll, my friends already have started telling me to 'Get some Wicky time' when I start getting down or upset. These boys have been very good for me and my depression, along with Barbossa (the black cat).

I plan to keep everyone updated on the boys, I'm very excited to be here!

Welcome, Optimus sounds like he might benefit from a neuter (if he hasn't already had one) Believe me, they can turn demons into cuddly boys! I have a boy that tries everything to get at our cat, but Clark still hasn't figured out he's a rat....

Welcome, Optimus sounds like he might benefit from a neuter (if he hasn't already had one)

I keep running into that option every time I research into what I can do for him. I would like to hold it as a last card type deal - and exhaust every other option that I can first while he and I are still able to pursue them. But it IS in my mind and I heard a rumor there is a vet clinic in my home town that does 'pocket pets'...I can save us a 35 minute drive one way if thats the case. Ill call them tomorrow and see if they do physical/check ups as well and get both of the boys in...and make sure at least for Optimus there is no other health reason to why he randomly bites.

Barbossa is my black cat! Seems like it's only with Optimus so far that he tries to play with him. At most he bats at his tail and when Opt' turns to check him out the cat bails off the bed or couch for a safe distance! It's fun too to watch Optimus run to the edge and look at him like 'What? Why? Come back!'

VCA Anderson in Lakewood (Dr. Edwards) does amazing neuters. Had my trouble child Stumptail done there.

There's also a VCA in Aurora that is very experienced. (Dr. Ferguson I think)

VCA Anderson in Lakewood (Dr. Edwards) does amazing neuters. Had my trouble child Stumptail done there.

There's also a VCA in Aurora that is very experienced. (Dr. Ferguson I think)
I'm going to be calling a couple vet places in town to see if they were pulling legs on their site, which unfortunately would not be the first I've seen it happen. I stopped going to one vet for my cat when they advertised they did bearded dragons and when I called said they did not. If none of them do any ratty work, is it okay that I can pm you for details?

I don't! I'm in Windsor! But if it means the peace and well being of my boys Ill come down to see to it - and get the oxbow! Hey, any idea if the adult freezes?

Back