Post neuter treatment

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megtro

My boy Baxter went in for a neuter this morning. The vet said everything went well. They had given him a dose of Metacam after the surgery (around 10:30am) and another dose at 4pm. Since I've taken him home he seems to be in more pain. I understand he's not going to be completely comfortable, but he's acting like a completely different rat. He won't eat unless I hand feed him. If he moves around, he seems to be dragging his back legs rather than using them, but I have seen him use them since the surgery. He's constantly licking the incision spot. He's been laying down on his side and back, which is abnormal for him.
I was told to give him his next dose of metacam the next morning and then the second dose in the evening. But I'm wondering if I should give it to him now? He just seems to be in so much pain and making him wait 7 hours just doesn't seem fair.

Metacam is usually given once a day. Sometimes the vets do not prescribe a high enough dose. How much does your boy weigh, what is the dose and what is the concentration of Metacam?

It's really hard to watch our rats in pain like that after surgery. Sometimes I wonder if the vets even understand how much pain our little ones are in.

Back