painting a CN

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rats en folie

My critter nations are getting a little rusty. I was thinking of painting them this summer. What paint should I use? How should I go about preparing the cages??

I was thinking a power washer, a light sanding and painting.

I think your best bet would be to find out the cost to have it re powder coated. If not I would be tempted to try the rustoleum paint that is used on bass pans but they need quite a while to cure so I'm not sure how long you can be without a cage and if you have a place for it to dry. Other than that I probably wouldn't do it as the paint could easily chip if chewed on my ratties.

Hopefully someone else can offer a more viable option.

I agree with smilez_n_hugs... whatever paint you do choose, look for low fumes and non toxic and it must cure for quite a long time. I'd say at least 2 weeks.

But man.... that would be so cool to paint a CN an awesome colour like purple or something. :)

I googled a bit and a few people painted their cages. They used the rustoleum paint. I can do one double at a time and let it cure for 2 weeks easily :) prime it first and let that cure :) I'll definitely post pics on here when I get it done :)

Ya I've definitely seen a few rustoleum cages - so cool!!

I have always read 4 weeks for cure time for paint, including the bass pans.

Also as someone in the steel business, powdercoating is definitely much more expensive than rustoleum and is essentially the same as far as finishing and protection goes (considering cages are indoors, if it was an outdoor item it's a different story haha)

Back