Elvira

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Elvira is approx. 2.5 years old (or more). She has a genetic deformity as her chest is too shallow and wide. This has worsened as she has aged. El has been on permanent antibiotics and lasix since I adopted her from the SPCA last summer. My vet says the muscles that allow her lungs to fill with air are being stretched sideways and that is why she is now experiencing difficulty breathing.

At present Elvira is on baytril, zithro & Lasix. She is down to 208 g, having lost almost 30g in a couple of weeks. El doesn't feel well, isn't eating a lot, is almost limp at times, etc I have been syringe feeding her and giving sub-Q fluids for the last few days.

Elvira has slowly been showing signs of pt - head bumping & some confusion. She has also been circling around objects like the water dish. At times she hangs her head down but her breathing does look too bad. Elvira now cuddles up to and sleeps with Simon ... this is new behaviour. Elvira has been living with Simon since she became ill and Strom (Simon's sister) had to be pts, leaving Simon all alone in the seniors cage (they require extra soft food, etc which the younger rats would rapidly consume)
But her breathing doesn't look as labored as before.
I started her on pred yesterday in the hope it will help the pt, as that may be at least part of the reason El hasn't been eating enough.

I am wondering if I should start Elvira on bromo, wondering if I should put her through that as it can be hard on rats.

What do you think?

Elvira today ....... and with Simon Peter (hed, chf, obese after months on meds and little mobility)

Elivra just circled the hat ....

Last edited:
Hmmm...
If you have to give her sub-Q fluids, then shouldn't you just stop the Lasix?
I have never used Bromo, so I don't know how harsh it is. How is her quality of life otherwise? If she's pretty compromised, then I don't know how much of a benefit she would get putting her through that treatment.

Poor girl. It's so hard to know what's best at this point. If your vet believe bromo should be tried, then maybe it's worth it.

Fluid collects in her lungs, we assume this is because of the way her chest is formed
Whenever I have taken her off the lasix, fluid accumulated in her lungs
(xrays show her heart and lungs to be good)
I did reduce the lasix a couple of days ago ....
I am hoping that El will start eating and drinking more if the pt is treated (thus started pred) and then will not need the sub-Q fluids
I have also started to syringe feed her several times a day

At this point it is had for me to know which symptoms are from pt and which are from her chest issue.
Until recently she had a good quality of life .... not sure if it is time to say goodbye or treat the pt aggressively i
n case that is what has caused Elvira's decline

But, yes, I'm not sure if I should put her through the bromo .... I've never had much luck with it, (although others have)
and rats often have a hard time tolerating it
Have a vet appointment tomorrow ....

thank you both for your thoughtful comments

Last edited:
Back from the vet ...................
Elvira has something very serious going on neurologically
She circles to the right, has a right head tilt
her pupils do not respond to light so she is blind

Today she can no longer hold food, and stays in one spot for a very long time
In the last week or so El is almost completely limp at times.
But she head bumps less and is able to eat more when syringe fed

Elvira has body tremors and sometimes her whole body jerks and she practically levitates

Giving her a few more days on the pred .... in case it helps .... possible that she had a stroke
but she likely has a fast growing tumor near her optic nerve :(
We decided not to put her through trying bromo

Elvira has lost 40 g in the last 2 weeks :(
She is down to 404 g

Last edited:
Still unsure if I should be trying the bromo .....

Started to treat her for possible inner ear infection ... but since she has been on baytril + zithro long term,
it is likely that her symptoms are the result of her neurological problem (ie brain tumour)

Elvira seems a bit better .... but could just be time of day or wishful thinking on my part

When I went out to get her for her evening med tonight, El looked like her back was wet
.... she was covered in drying formula+ baby cereal
Simon frequently spills it out of the dish onto the bedding, but I have no idea how it got all over her back .....
seizure? fell over onto her back? knocked over by Simon?

Anyway, she had her first bath/soak in the sink ... and I discovered that El has developed another tumor
Found a small tumor on her abdomen just in front of her hind right leg.
Another mammary tumor .... she had two removed last year ....

Last edited:
Took Elvira in to be pts today but was late due to transportation difficulties and vet did not have time to do it.
On exam, El's pupils now respond to light ... so perhaps less pressure in her brain.
But she is still blind and is now falling over on one side :(

Elvira is now down to 388g despite syringe feedings :(

That is so awful the vet would not PTS for you. I find that once I make that decision, I hate postponing it.
Poor little girl, I hope she is comfortable.
:hugs:

Thanks Joane ...
She seems very content lying in my arms being stroked
She also eats her meds & organic soy formula and seems to like the baby food peas and baby food banana
She bruxes when being petted and fed
She grooms herself and snuggles in a ball against me

Back