Neuter owies/New Issue!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanya

Rat Enthusiast
So I was posting this on my "Biting- Ouch!" thread but you would never know because of the title. Mink, a 6 week old rat, got neutered today. He is fine except now he is doing owie stretches, and like a horrible mommy, I trusted the vet when they said he didn't need pain meds! So he received a shot of Butorphanol after surgery to help with pain. I have infant Ibuprofin, will that help? He weighs 243 grams, what would his dose be? Is there anything stronger he can have over-the-counter? The owie stretches aren't horrible yet but he is sucking his sides in slightly and breathing faster than usual. I just want to help him. Since he is is pain he isn't eating really either. I will go pick up some baby food(What brand and flavor should I get?) and pedialyte if I need to. His surgery ended at 11:50 a.m. today and it is now 6:48 p.m. Thank you in advance for your help! :thud:

The office is now closed and I will be calling in the morning. When I call it refers me to a dog and cat emergency clinic which will cost me $200 just to get into the door.

He just got his first dose of ibu so hopefully it works! Thank you! What brand of baby food should I buy? I've heard bad things about gerber.

- Edit:

He is eating fruits and veggies but I need something for protein because he has no interest in his oxbow right now

Last edited:
He just got his first dose of ibu so hopefully it works! Thank you! What brand of baby food should I buy? I've heard bad things about gerber.

We use Gerber, but some prefer organic. Our boys like banana, and the chicken "dinner" ones, meat ones, apple oatmeal.

I guess I can get some of that, whatever he will eat. I perfer organic as well. The vet said I need to watch for licking/chewing, but how in the world am I going to watch him 24/7? Oy..... :p

I guess I can get some of that, whatever he will eat. I perfer organic as well. The vet said I need to watch for licking/chewing, but how in the world am I going to watch him 24/7? Oy..... :p

Sigh, the licking and chewing could be from the med they gave him, as it can sometimes cause Pica, but that has worn off pretty much...and you never saw the behaviour so you're in the clear. Rats will pick and pull at their incisions when they are in pain, so hopefully the ibu will help with that. If he doesn't stop owwie-ing in 30 mins, then give him that .05 cc more...

Got some baby food but he isn't interested. He just wants to hide away and sleep. I got blueberry banana and turkey with garden veggies. I even got some of those 'treats' for babies, the puff things, orgnaic purple sweet potato and blueberry

Got some baby food but he isn't interested. He just wants to hide away and sleep. I got blueberry banana and turkey with garden veggies. I even got some of those 'treats' for babies, the puff things, orgnaic purple sweet potato and blueberry

Just let him sleep...he probably wasn't hungry for his oxbow earlier because he was in pain. Rest is the best healer especially since he's more comfortable now.

Just out of curiosity, what bad things have you heard about Gerber? I've been using that brand of baby food to mix in my girls' meds for the past month...

Back