a rat that bites.....need help.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rats en folie

I adopted a lab rat in December. He was really territorial with my other boys. I got him fixed, and everything is wonderful! :) The end of February the girl I had adopted Phoenix from (first lab rat) had an adopter cancel on her and was having problems adopting out the last boy. Knowing it would probably be another neuter I took him anyway. He does need a neuter but he BITES!! I'm not sure a neuter will fix his agresiveness towards me. We do have a few good moments and he boggles. But when he's fed up he lets me know.

I was wondering if anyone had the same problem. If getting him neutered will stop him from biting also. I need help :(

Last edited:
I adopted a lab rat in December. He was really territorial with my other boys. I got him fixed, and everything is wonderful! :) The end of February the girl I had adopted Phoenix from (first lab rat) had an adopter cancel on her and was having problems adopting out the last boy. Knowing it would probably be another neuter I took him anyway. He does need a neuter but he BITES!! I'm not sure a neuter will fix his agresiveness towards me. We do have a few good moments and he boggles. But when he's fed up he lets me know.

I was wondering if anyone had the same problem. If getting him neutered will stop him from biting also. I need help :(

A lot of hormonal boys will bite...I have 3 here right now that aer being neutered on March 23rd, and another one that was done a month ago, and is now super sweet, and loving his harem of girls...get him neutered, biting is just an extension of the hormones although you might need to work on trust training once the hormones subside.

You should of seen my remy. I couldnt touch him, he had a warning on his cage for my vet because he was just always turning on me trying to bite me. he was one of the worst touchy boys ever. I have picturs of his sweet little head in my hands licking away. He went from biting to a kisser. t was so bad that I would push him back in the cage with objects LOL not my hand. The biting has stopped with numerous of our boys after a neuter.

QUESTION:

If you neuter a male, does the female need to be spayed also? -- Kind of a stupid question, but I have always wondered.
AND -- how long after the neuter before you can put with the girls?

There are more health benefits to spaying the female, but you do not have to have both done for birth control.
You should wait at least three weeks before putting them together to ensure all the sperm is gone.

Back