atlantis rattery?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riot!

okay not really sure where I should post this but anyway i've seen a few post about rats that came from atlantis rattery but i dont really know much about this breeder or what s/he does thats good or bad
but what brings me to ask about them is i was picking up my latest baby from the girl who does most our local rescue now my town in small and pretty much all rat people know each other so we got on the topic of breeders since a friend of mine just reserved a baby from one well the girl was telling me that this breeder had imported martins or something from a Canadian breeder called atlantis
now i've seen a lot of post talkin bout how bad these rats are my biggest fear is we're going to see a lot of poorly bred rats end up needing homes we don't see many bad bred rats around here since even our local feeder breeders tend to have somewhat healthy and friendly rats

but back to my point what is the real issue with this breeder? should i be worried we now have someone breeding from their lines?

Too bad because there are no good, ethical breeders in Canada doing it right .... :(

Read what lilspaz68 has the say:
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32217&highlight=atlantis+rattery&page=2

lilspaz68 has a couple of paragraphs about the rattery on here
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32130&highlight=atlantis+rattery

A thread about that rattery
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30472&highlight=atlantis+rattery

and here http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31769&highlight=atlantis+rattery

too bad your friend is buying from a backyard breeder (they all are backyard breeders)
instead of adopting rescue rats

Last edited:
Thank you, I'm gonna read all these links

Sadly we only really have 1 rescue here (I've gotten 2 boys and 2 girls from them) my town isn't very big on rats there's very few owners used to be only one breeder who was actually very good she moved and now I'm seeing backyard breeders pop up everywhere

I have 2 from her line and there fine. Not every rat she has is going to be a problem, you also have to question the people who gave them away. Most litters (of any animal) are going to have a one that isnt as well tempered as other's. If she is taking the one that isnt well tempered and breeding it, that's a different story. I blame the previous owners more than i do the breeder, Even if you have a bad tempered rat thats no reason to get rid of it. Also not to mention if you guys have all these rats from Atlantis not one of those people followed there signed contract.

I've never personally dealt with Atlantis, but from seeing her website over time, she seems to have way too many litters to socialize them properly, she breeds rats pretty young and i've seen her sell adults after breeding them therefore not having any health/behaviour info on them.

In my opinion, a breeder of any animal should breed for health and temperament as the number one priority. Atlantis seems to only breed for pretty colours. Yes fancy colours are nice and if there is the option then go for it, but it should always be secondary to health and temperament. I'd rather have a plain 'normal' rat that is healthy and friendly rather than a fancy colour thats sick or has behavioural issues like aggression.

I have 2 from her line and there fine. Not every rat she has is going to be a problem, you also have to question the people who gave them away. Most litters (of any animal) are going to have a one that isnt as well tempered as other's. If she is taking the one that isnt well tempered and breeding it, that's a different story. I blame the previous owners more than i do the breeder, Even if you have a bad tempered rat thats no reason to get rid of it. Also not to mention if you guys have all these rats from Atlantis not one of those people followed there signed contract.

YOU are only seeing what you want to. Not what we have a LOT of proof about. have you read any of the posts?? She breaks so many of the Red Flags its not funny....

She's not ethical, her rats should NEVER end up in the rescue pipeline, and they ALL do.

Have you looked at her site? Do you see an adoption application anywhere? No app, no adoption contract, so get your story straight! Her rattery is a freaking buffet...you can have as many as you like, in both sexes, she doesn't care...a good breeder would never allow this. I am surprised that they don't have those internet shopping things on her site, the ones that say Add to Cart...

GRRRRR.

I have ONE Atlantis girl....she's sweet, they do happen. But then I also have 5 Atlantis boys and ALL need to be neutered or they will live alone all their lives...and several would be trying to BITE me constantly...a breeder should be working on temperament and health prior to markings and conformation and especially ear set!

I have heard absolutely nothing good about Atlantis Rattery. She overbreeds, is not selective about which animals she breeds and does not care where her rats go or how they are treated. She, in my opinion, is a disgrace to legitimate breeders...

Atlantis is like the Wal-Mart of rats.
The stuff I read is all pretty gross and definitely points to someone using and abusing animals to make money - which I find nasty.
I won't bother repeating anything, as all of it is pretty easy to find (using links posted, searching on this forum, and even Googling) but the stuff I have seen and read is gag-worthy.
Also, Caeser - you don't have much room to talk. Considering how you treated your first two rats, you aren't exactly a fine example of understanding what is and isn't ethical. Also, your boys are only what about two months old? You don't know if they have genetic medical disorders yet and you don't know if in two months you will have incredibly aggressive hormonal biting boys. They aren't old enough to have the testosterone kick in yet - and when they are, you may find yourself with some bad tempered rats.

YOU are only seeing what you want to. Not what we have a LOT of proof about. have you read any of the posts?? She breaks so many of the Red Flags its not funny....

She's not ethical, her rats should NEVER end up in the rescue pipeline, and they ALL do.

Have you looked at her site? Do you see an adoption application anywhere? No app, no adoption contract, so get your story straight! Her rattery is a freaking buffet...you can have as many as you like, in both sexes, she doesn't care...a good breeder would never allow this. I am surprised that they don't have those internet shopping things on her site, the ones that say Add to Cart...

GRRRRR.

I have ONE Atlantis girl....she's sweet, they do happen. But then I also have 5 Atlantis boys and ALL need to be neutered or they will live alone all their lives...and several would be trying to BITE me constantly...a breeder should be working on temperament and health prior to markings and conformation and especially ear set!

You summed it up very well and said it much nicer than I was going to. I also wanted to add that an ethical breeder should have ZERO problem rats. So what if she was able to pump out a few decent rats that's completely luck of the draw and something anyone who can put 2 rats together could do. And on top of that the fact that she is letting her rats go to such crappy homes is another huge red flag.

Caeser I get that you are okay with breeders (at it is your right to do so) but I hope the more time you spend on here the more you will start to question where your rats are coming from. I hope you will read some of the Atlantis threads so you can see for yourself where our opinions are coming from.

Reactions: SQ
I have and i also talk to her quite a bit. Its everyone's own opinion and she does have contracts for rats and not for mice, i didnt mean to russell and feathers, just my opinion.

Like i said if i could id rescue.

Now I'm really worried the state of the breeder here if they're importanting rats from someone like that

https://www.facebook.com/pages/PAWS-For-Pals-Animal-Rescue/1555514068022805

I dont know much about this rescue but they messaged me today they are in Virginia so it may be worth a look.

I do rescue, we have babies, I know who has mine and where they are. I follow up, Atlantis is piss poor if she does not know or follow up. I rescue these rats, even when adopted, I am responsible for them and who they are with. I want to know that if they cannot keep them, then I will take them back.

If there is one rat in the group of babies that is hormonal then it means that line shouldnt be bred the problem is with her, she gets them, breeds the hell out of them and then hands them out like tic-tacs or party favors. She has no clue where her lines are in two years or what type of problem they develop. I dont breed and I wouldnt support a breeder if my life depended on it. I would straight out die before getting one from a breeder. While I do not breed, I can tell from how my babies act, how they act as they grow, what type of temperant runs in the family it is pretty clear to see. Astryd was a gem, Grant was a mean boy, now most of their babies are great but early on I could see the attitude from the "daddy" side of the babies.

I am driving 3.5 hours each way to pick up two boys tomorrow so I CAN pay for their vet bills. no one is paying me or my gas to do this. So knowing that is what rescues do, where should your money go? TO a person who is popping litters out like like they mass producing a product or to the people who spent their day workign then getting in a car for 8 hours to save a rat?

Drive a little to rescue but stay away from back yard breeders. I have 30 babies I did not plan on nor could I prevent but due to other people they are here. I am not the only person with rats in the world, there are tons like me. You also have to watch for some rescues as well. not all are legit.

I do rescue, we have babies, I know who has mine and where they are. I follow up, ................. I rescue these rats, even when adopted, I am responsible for them and who they are with. I want to know that if they cannot keep them, then I will take them back.

I dont breed and I wouldnt support a breeder if my life depended on it. I would straight out die before getting one from a breeder. While I do not breed, I can tell from how my babies act, how they act as they grow, what type of temperant runs in the family it is pretty clear to see. Astryd was a gem, Grant was a mean boy, now most of their babies are great but early on I could see the attitude from the "daddy" side of the babies.

I am driving 3.5 hours each way to pick up two boys tomorrow so I CAN pay for their vet bills. no one is paying me or my gas to do this. So knowing that is what rescues do, where should your money go? TO a person who is popping litters out like like they mass producing a product or to the people who spent their day workign then getting in a car for 8 hours to save a rat?

Drive a little to rescue but stay away from back yard breeders. I have 30 babies I did not plan on nor could I prevent but due to other people they are here. I am not the only person with rats in the world, there are tons like me. You also have to watch for some rescues as well. not all are legit.

This is how a responsible person acts ....
this is how responsible people who rescue rats act .....
It is so very important to support rescues, rescue rats and not support breeders!

....... however, I will get free rats from breeders going out of business or rats being dumped ... like the 2 free retired breeders I took in last fall .... because they were in danger of becoming free snake food
and my taking them did not support the breeder or encourage the person to breed more rats

Thank you Hopefloats, for everything you do for rats

Hopefloats hit the nail right on the head! I couldn't have said it better myself.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/PAWS-For-Pals-Animal-Rescue/1555514068022805

I dont know much about this rescue but they messaged me today they are in Virginia so it may be worth a look.

I do rescue, we have babies, I know who has mine and where they are. I follow up, Atlantis is piss poor if she does not know or follow up. I rescue these rats, even when adopted, I am responsible for them and who they are with. I want to know that if they cannot keep them, then I will take them back.

If there is one rat in the group of babies that is hormonal then it means that line shouldnt be bred the problem is with her, she gets them, breeds the hell out of them and then hands them out like tic-tacs or party favors. She has no clue where her lines are in two years or what type of problem they develop. I dont breed and I wouldnt support a breeder if my life depended on it. I would straight out die before getting one from a breeder. While I do not breed, I can tell from how my babies act, how they act as they grow, what type of temperant runs in the family it is pretty clear to see. Astryd was a gem, Grant was a mean boy, now most of their babies are great but early on I could see the attitude from the "daddy" side of the babies.

People like you are amazing and truly care for these animals I don't plan on going to any breeder I'm friends with a girl n my town who does a lot of rescue of all small animals my girls came from her my boys she saved from a box left in the snow are the sweetest thing I've only ever been to one breeder and that was an inpulse buy at like 6 in the morning wouldn't go back in change it if I could tho she was a very good breeder and my boy from her is my world other than him tho I won't go to a breeder I'm just worried the only one left in my town is going to end up with bad rats and flood my town with them I tried to talk to her to see if I could get more info on who was importanted and breeding plans she was nice but didn't share much

The ones who do not share, are the ones you run from. I am not fan of breeders at all. I look around at all the faces I have here and that stops me from doing so. If one day all my cages are empty, then I would, but Them being empty is about as big as a snowballs chance in hell. I know some people believe in some breeders but I have yet to see that rat that always lives to be 4 and has no tumors or lung issues so I dont think there is much good being done but with all the bad being done, we are saturated with rats that need homes.

The ones who do not share, are the ones you run from. I am not fan of breeders at all. I look around at all the faces I have here and that stops me from doing so. If one day all my cages are empty, then I would, but Them being empty is about as big as a snowballs chance in hell. I know some people believe in some breeders but I have yet to see that rat that always lives to be 4 and has no tumors or lung issues so I dont think there is much good being done but with all the bad being done, we are saturated with rats that need homes.

We have very few rats here so we don't really have much need of rescues it's very hard to find a rescue unless I travel a way away everytime the only rescue I know has ended up with babies I've taken at least two we have more issues with pet stores and feeder babies I ised to have a deal with the local reptile shop they'd call me if they came across a feeder they really liked and wanted to end up at a good home that's how I got most my rats until they closed down I'm just worried that we have breeders popping up that I'm not sure are even in it to better the animals the old one moved and from what I hear isn't breeding this new one is just idk sketchy I guess? Getting rats from this Rattery everyone is telling me is horrible and now I see the baby a friend got from them they claimed it was a Siamese but it's like 10 weeks old with no points it seems like they don't even no basic rat colors

I am in Orlando Florida and we have a breeder in North Florida that was going to bringing in Atlantis rats, she was told by several different people that this is a horrible idea, not that this breeder has good reputation anyway, but lets hope she listened. I will dig around and see what I can find.

I agree that this breeder sounds awful, but not sure what is with the hostility towards a fellow member of the forum. Caeser just has a different opinion, likely from having a friendship with the breeder in question. Also, not everyone finds rescuing to be worth the effort (I have a house full of rescued critters so I disagree) but who am I to judge? So long as they treat their animals good.

Just my two cents. :cheerful:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back