Clark Injured - Need Advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

Clark got injured either last night, this morning, or late afternoon. Daddy didn't notice until late afternoon and told me when I got home. This is how it looks now after I cleaned the bloody matted hair and cut it away. I am not spreading it open so what I am concerned about is: How is it going to close? Do I some how have to put the ends together? Does this require a vet trip? Do I just watch and wait - or course, watch for abscesses also? That is the size of the opening on his back....

Last edited:
nope keep it clean and watch it. That is a minor one. He will heal up and it will probably be closed by tomorrow :) I am happy to see you didnt rush him to the vet, you are learning there grasshopper :) This one didnt even break the membrane so his flesh isnt even exposed, it is just through the skin.

nope keep it clean and watch it. That is a minor one. He will heal up and it will probably be closed by tomorrow :) I am happy to see you didnt rush him to the vet, you are learning there grasshopper :) This one didnt even break the membrane so his flesh isnt even exposed, it is just through the skin.

Hell yea, I've learned... You should what the nakies do to each other. I was just concerned because they ends are separated.

It will heal by secondary intention. I would probably cut the hair back further. You should be able to look at it easily without having to move any hair.

Still looks the same, but doesn't seem to be bothering him. Not a single buckeye boy is confessing to hurting my Clark-a-dillo-saurus...

It's most likely growing new skin underneath, and at some point the scab will come off.

There is no scab, it looks the same as when it happened. I wasn't holding it open - that was the space between the skin and why I was concerned it would not close on its own. The fleshy part is now dried up and hard! Other than that it looks the same.

There is no scab, it looks the same as when it happened. I wasn't holding it open - that was the space between the skin and why I was concerned it would not close on its own. The fleshy part is now dried up and hard! Other than that it looks the same.
But the fleshy part that is now dried up and hard IS the scab. It's doing all the healing underneath. He may have a naked pink spot when it has finally healed (no hair follicles).

But the fleshy part that is now dried up and hard IS the scab. It's doing all the healing underneath. He may have a naked pink spot when it has finally healed (no hair follicles).

You are absolutely right! It is shrinking up and closing... Looks like his hair is even filling in the spot :joy:

Back