Oxbow essentials rat food in bulk!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marissaceleste

I've seen quite a few people on here mentioning that they go through those 3lb bags in no time and they are pretty pricy! So I thought I'd share in case anyone was unaware.

You can get oxbow in 20lb bags! Hurray! :p it lasts me around 2-2.5 months for my 8 boys. And bonus it's a lot cheaper. I get one bag for around $60 including tax, whereas the same amount for the 3lb bags can be $90 or more plus tax.

I know a lot of Shackers are in Toronto/Ontario... In downtown Toronto I get mine at Annex Pet Supplies (Bloor W and Bathurst area). Its close to my house and a nice independent store. I believe the Menagerie will also order it for you, but they sell live pets so I choose not to shop there. Global Pet Foods also can order it and that one has several locations all over Ontario.

That's what I got last time - one of the sales clerks at Global suggested it, and they even had a bag in stock! Waaaay cheaper than the three pound bags.

I just got my order from Foster & Smith. I got 3 20 lb bags for 39.99 each bag. It should hopefully last me for 6 months.

I just got my order from Foster & Smith. I got 3 20 lb bags for 39.99 each bag. It should hopefully last me for 6 months.

That is where I get mine :) and my bedding...Just got a shipment today actually and one 20lb bag only lasts us about 5 weeks with 14 rats but my girls waste some because they stash it in litter boxes and then it gets pooped and peed on....Wasteful girls!

We got this january 30 and probably have went through 8 bags so far.

10350353_10152665537481409_995843327656792781_n.jpg

Yes we are. We have a lot of liittle mouths to feed. When ordering food of this size it is by far cheaper to get 500 lbs at least, Shipping is then done with a Semi :) How cool is that LOL or funny even. We saved 100.00 by ordering it in that amount and havign a truck drop it off. This way it will tide me over for a while then I will have to order more hopefully not for a little bit though.

I want to get Regal Rat Food for my rats im getting but they are only going to be 5 weeks old, not 4 months old.

So would supplementing with egg and chicken be good?
But how much egg and how much chicken to give?

I want to get mealworms but they arent cheap and seem to have WAY too much protein.

I dont want to give them too much protein.

I have always just fed my rats the Oxbow or Harlan 2014 and given them extra food of differing varieties. If you have just two little ones, then they are not going to need a lot. A whole egg would be too much, a whole chicken breast would be too much. I would probably give them one or two pieces each, perhaps 1 cm x 1 cm in size. You do want them to eat their regular food. This is just supplemental. Just give them a little bit of your supper every night (as long as it's healthy!) and that will give them some variety and extra nutrients.

The shipping is killer though. When I have ordered the big bag of Harlan 2014 (30lbs?), it costs more for shipping than the food!

Yeah, thats the part that truly sucks.
I'm more local and I have a friend in Brampton who will pick up and drop off if she is coming here, or I will arrange to pick up when I'm in town. I have only ever had food shipped once and I remember the shipping being the same price as the bag of harlan that I bought. Its perfect if you are local though!

Back