Meet Harry and Schnitzel

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatPack

We got 2 new boys today and they are super sweet but they couldn't stay with their family anymore due to their kid had allergies to them :( They seem pretty well taken care of but the food they came with is crap in my opinion..they are munching oxbow right now like it is going out of style.

IMG_3415.jpg

IMG_3414.jpg

They really are :) I am still having trouble remember which is which...is that bad? haha She told me like 3-4 times but I still just can't quite remember. I think the black on is schnitzel and the greyish one is harry.My daughter knows so I am sure after she reminds me enough I will remember.

So I gave the boys a couple of hours to settle in but didn't take long before I witnessed poor Harry being chased after by Snitzel :( By the time I made it to the cage, he was stuffed as far into one of the tissue boxes as he could get until Snitzel moved on and then he finally came out. Then I noticed Snitzel doing something rather strange..not sure what to call it. My daughter was lucky enough to catch it on video while I was cleaning their cage which had layers upon layers of urine on/in it and on everything inside of it so most stuff got tossed..I only kept the lava ledge,water bottle and food bowl..All the boxes and wooden stuff went in the trash. I won't put all the blame on snitzel because while they were out, Harry started the next fight so not sure there. I also gave him both baths cause I a suspicion they had a good bit of urine on them as well since it was caked in the cage. Anyway here is the video...http://youtu.be/Nyyk3IT8WhY?t=1m43s

Last edited:
Just got an email that Harry and Schnitzel's birthdays were actually yesterday! They are half brothers (Same dad, different mommas) Really wish I would have known but one of my girls birthday is coming up on the 9th so I am just gonna throw all 3 a little party on tuesday...I was thinking fruit smoothies as the main course :) and obviously the girls won't invited to the boys party and vice versa and 2 of the boys and 2 of the girls will have to sit out on the fun because they are the territorial/thug types but we will make it work and make sure everyone has some kind of fun even if they don't play well with others haha.

Got weights on the boys...not sure if my scale has given up on my or not but despite their size they both feel very light and bonyish so that is why I was reminded to weigh them lol. Schnitzel is the bigger one and scale says he is weighing in at 494 grams and Harry whole is still a big boy compared to my tiny boys :) weighs 443 grams weighing less than even my smallest boy timmy who is 499 grams. So either my scale really is busted after 4 months of use or the seed mix and dog biscuit diet wasn't doing them any favors or both :) Got some better pictures of harry since all the ones I have are side shots.

IMG_3435.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg

Handsome boy!
Don't get hung up on the numbers. Go by body condition. You may not have to do anything special; just feed them good food like your other rats and they will get healthier on their own.

So according to my scale..both boys are over 500 grams now with schnitzel have gained 15 grams coming in at 509 grams now and harry gained 62 grams coming in at 505 grams....finding that one hard to believe haha is that even possible to gain that much in 14 days.Really thinking it is time to get a new scale..

Back