heat exposure/oxygen deprivation

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunRat

I agreed to take a few rats someone was dumping, when i met them I was handed a box sealed up with tape and about 30+ rats. It was radiating heat.. when I got them in and cut it open it was like a sauna and several were unconscious.

It's been hours and mentally they seem to be okay. Eating and drinking but the motor skills on the little ones is out if control. Rolling, flipping over, limp when I pick them up, back ends mostly seem to be useless when they get moving.

There is simply no way for me to get nearly 3 dozen animals to a vet. What the heck am I seeing here.. They are healthy appearing other than this.

Last edited:
I forgot to add they were in the box for well over an hour.: (

They are pitiful. They want to interact and sniff my hands and whatnot, but their bodies are acting like they are on the verge of passing out.

Is it possible they had heat strokes? I'm sure that can happen in rats as well as humans and other animals....Do they feel overly warm still? If they feel warm you might try wiping them with a cool cloth to get their temps down but it might be too late for the poor things if they were stuffed in there for over an hour.....I really wish I had better advise but I have never dealt with anything like that before. Maybe try calling your vet and ask their advise on what might be going on and what you can do to help them.

It sounds like heat stroke...I lost a rescue boy to that once...still upset about it.

Cool their tails with a damp cold cloth, as this is where the heat radiates out of...I even wiped his coat with a damp cloth.

Get them to drink...I gave my boy sub-q fluids but he was too far gone, and had a stroke and died.

The ones rolling etc, they might have an inner ear infection that you didn't know about prior. But yes a video would be good. Don't make them cold but definitely try to cool them down a bit...

I am so very sorry babies :(

Poor ratties. It may be difficult to determine if they were like this before the 'box incident', or because of it. Perhaps they were born like that and that was why the person was dumping them.

I'm Pretty Sure They've Had Heat strokes. The weakness, disorientation, staggering and staying warmer despite doing everything I can to bring their temps down.. it's all looking that way. I don't think most of them are going to make it. I'm going to try uploading a video from yesterday morning. They are worse today.. I'll try photo bucket or something.
The larger of the group are all doing okay. It's just the young babies and I assume it's because they overheated the fastest.
The video is upsetting.

Okay..I can't get a video to upload anywhere. These are screen shots from the video of this one baby staggering all over.

Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-12-52.jpg

Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-13-22.jpg

Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-13-30.jpg

Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-13-39.jpg

Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-14-04.jpg

Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-14-14.jpg

Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-14-25.jpg

Maybe it is not related maybe it is an ear infection. That little one needs to be seen by a vet to be sure.

Oh my, so sad. ):
I don't have any other suggestions besides what others have brought up. Unless you have some antibiotics on hand, then perhaps you can try treating the tilty ones. Although that may just be occurring from the heat problems. Did you try YouTube for the video? That usually works fine..

Maybe your vet would be willing to see them all for a reasonable cost, if you explain the situation?
You can perhaps open a bill and maybe they can let you pay it off over time? You could make a donation page and see if people can help you pay off the bill?
Are they all the same sex or have you been able to split the boys from the girls?

I've separated them now. But they were all mixed and the older girls are pregnant.

I really don't think it's an ear infection. I've dealt with rats with pituitary tumors and ear infections.. their heads are the only part of them under control with these rats.

I have a friend at an exotic vet office I've been talking to about a payment plan and his professional opinion. He also thinks it's a direct result of bring "half baked and suffocated". He thinks they would have died in another 20 mins or so in the boxes.

I will update when I know more. I'll see about bringing the worst in because I'm sure it's the same thing with the whole group.

That's good that you know someone. I hope he can help you with this. I'm sure it's devastating to see.
Ugh, what is with people! Who would do this? It's just sickening. ):
Thank you, by the way.. You did a really noble and kind thing by taking them in.

They've started passing. Their pupils are not reacting to light. If they make it long enough to get to the vet they'll be pts. He says organ failure is likely. I believe that is the case They've eaten and drank but none of the Littles have passed anything. Their insides are not working. :(

I am so very very sorry...heat stroke is a terrible thing for anything to endure, and once its happened, you can only do your best...in your case your best was amazing, but not in time to prevent this. Those poor babies at least will not suffer in your care :(

This is so sad. I'm sorry the babies had to suffer because of someone who just couldnt care enough. Thank you for rescuing them. You truly are a hero. :(

Back