Please take a moment to give this feeder/breeder a bad rating?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they treating the animals bad? I hate the idea of snakes eating as much as everyone else but what did they do other the breed food? I mean everything's gotta eat sadly

There are many articles and videos on how to teach your snake to eat humanely pre-killed frozen rats as a couple of people have already pointed out on their Facebook page. As for treating the animals bad, perhaps an inspector or customers with hidden cameras need to check to see if they are housed in tiny tubs or proper sized cages with proper food, water, clean bedding and not overcrowded!

Last edited:
I wouldn't no only reptiles we ever kept ate f/t or bugs so that's the issue they sell live? Thought it was like people doing curl things you wouldn't believe some things I've seen on facebook people do horrible things to rats and nice :( clearly not a fan of live feeding either
sadly I don't think they'll ever make it illegal here like some other country's -.-

Last edited:
Hey Riot nice to see you on here...this is Lindsay Spurgeon from FB. Anyways, I did post a review on this guy's page due to the live feeding and lack of proof of any humane care (website, files, photos, anything) but since the guy has come to talk with me instead of the initial argument that it was, and I am doing what I can to encourage him to: encourage frozen feeding, and provide information about the business such that we have some kind of proof of humane treatment. I will continue to work with this person, and I stated that I would discourage any "griefing" of his business should he work with me (or someone else who can help him, I know debbied does have some great info for herp owners too) I will let you know how it goes ;)

I'm sort of on the fence with this kind of thing, I mean, I agree we, who adopt unwanted and sick "feeders" and work the frontlines (which is probably more of some of you than it is me), should police this sort of thing, we have every right to and should let the public know where there is mistreatment and that there is a better way for the snakes. But I also think that we should help the herp people convert, give them the knowledge and info they need, and who knows, perhaps we will win over a new rat person...I've seen it happen! It's really hard to know if someone is just a careless feeder-breeder or what the case is when there's no info available. So it's hard to know, what is the right thing to do? Anyways...my "chunks" are out running on the bed now and they demand much of my attention so g2g! <3 <3 <3 I promise I'll log in more hahaha xox ~L

I wanted to send the people a message to see if I could get pictures of the set up see if they are taking care of the animals but they deleted the facebook I think

Wow I think they really did delete their page, wtf? I even said that I would support him to encourage frozen, and that would help his business, and that I would deter any more negative comments. We'll have to keep an eye out for another page from them...I'm not going to give up on encouraging ppl to do the right thing even if they try to slide out of any responsibility like that! But who knows, maybe he feels guilty now and is gonna quit...I wish. But I still find it odd he deleted, like, the last couple communications I had with him were nice conversation, not arguing.:wow4:

I have no idea I went to message in it was like "you dont have permission to message this person" I did notice that they're friends with a girl who breeds reptiles here who I used to work with ill send her a message in the morning see if she has any info I didn't get to read all the comments but if he was willing to work with you why would he just delete :/

Yea, thats what I'm sayin', I mean it kinda looked like he was starting to be nice, and I certainly hadn't made any personal attacks or accusations, only assertions that live feeding is dangerous for snakes and not humane for rats. So, if I tell him I'm going to get ppl to not post negative on his site, and help him be more humane and safe, if he's really wanting to do that and not just perpetuate suffering and stupidity, then why delete? I can get anyone to take back a negative review...if he starts supporting switching to frozen, and showing us that this isn't just another of the willards house of horrors. Then RattyMouse showed a link to his personal page where he and his wife are QQ'ing about "lifeless PETA trolls"...so who knows. I think, tho, if he cared he wouldn't delete, especially after I said I'd get the bad comments to stop!

I never saw any link to his personal page but if he really said that i doubt he was ever willing to work with anyone :/

Hi, I know is kinda nothing to do with this post but I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere where I can buy feeder rats from in the UK? Thanks

We are not a feeder forum nor do we support it.

Some snakes wont eat frozen, then what? and im pretty sure snakes dont eat frozen in the wild so no its not dangerous.

Might as well freeze oxbow its more humane for the grain to die that way.
'
Then maybe just maybe they shouldnt be kept as pets. I see why you feel attacked you are on the wrong forum. You have some issues for sure. buy from breeders and toss a live rat in with a snake. You need to figure out what our standards are and see this is what we accept here. We do not support breeders or feeding rats to snakes. If you cannot and do not fit in this, you might want to stop posting. I have never wanted to ban anyone as much as I do you right now. This standard is not up for debate. Now if you wish to keep testing the waters dont expect the members to be nice. This is out of control with you. Keep running your mouth about what we dont support around here and see how many people lash out.

Some snakes wont eat frozen, then what? and im pretty sure snakes dont eat frozen in the wild so no its not dangerous.

Might as well freeze oxbow its more humane for the grain to die that way.

I am not one to be rude or start trouble but I feel that you shouldn't be a member of this forum. Your views are not compatible with the purpose of this forum. If I was the moderator, I would have banned you already. Why are you here? What is it that makes you stay here and continue to post comments that are so obviously not aligned with our "rescue mentality"? Do you truly want to learn or are you here just to cause grief and trouble?

Also wild snakes eat wild rats in the wild... not a domestic bred snake with a domestic bred rat in a tiny enclosure with no hope for escape... it's also very dangerous for the snake itself. Rats are not stupid, neither are mice actually. They can and will kill or maim a reptile.

Just wanted to add my two cents to that nonsense...

Back