Rattie Wheel Chair ideas?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
The newly constructed wheel chair for 3 year old Simon on his birthday wasn't a hit .....

............. Simon wasn't sure what to do with it until Snoopy, Sam, and Summer showed him that it tastes pretty good and must be for chewing .....

I rescued the wheelchair from them

Anyone have any experience or suggestions re wheel chairs for elderly rats with hed so bad their hind legs are paralyzed?

There is a fab member on here called Vombaty. I can't find the thread, but last year Vombaty posted a video of a wheelchair device for their elderly rat and it worked a charm. It really was an ingenious contraption and they even had a video tutorial for it, I believe! I think it may be worth sending Vombaty a message. Vombaty is really friendly :)

I would think a wheelchair to a rat would be a horrible restraining torture device unless they were very calm and OK with everything you do anyways. Why do you feel he needs one? HED sucks but its a natural progression.

I don't think old rats have enough upper body strength for a wheel chair unless they are quite young. My old guys didn't seem to mind staying in one spot and having me carry them around, although, I'm no rat so I really don't know if they were bothered by it. But from everything I've seen our rats go through, they sure adapt easily and without depression or angst when losing a limb or an eye or both eyes and such...so I can't see HED being any different.

Simon gets upset, frantic and squeaks loudly when out of his cage with the others and he is unable to go where ever he wants
I was also hoping that a bit of exercise might wear off some of the calories he gets from the sweetener in his meds and
might slow down his weight gain thus improving his quality of life

Until recently Simon was able to drag himself around with his front legs but now that he weights so much, he is unable to :(
I was thinking of a wheelchair to use during free range time, not for in the cage as it would unsafe if not supervised.

Last edited:
wow amazing tbh, i feel like as long as the rat desent care than use it, this one seems to love it. If you cant find wheels or anything to make it with i would suggest using these kids toys http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/knex-521-piece-value-tub/6000025754195

if you have never seen knex before they come with wheels and pieces to build diffrent things. like lego without the small pieces

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dV4imGkHy8[/ame]

this is a video showing kind of what the product is

Last edited:
Back