If you care about rescues or rats please email

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Please politely respond to this kijiji ad before these people allow their pet rats to mate again .... to produce more babies for them to freeze alive to give away

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-pets-other-items/truro/frozen-pinkie-rats/1053833399

I have approx. a dozen frozen pinkies if you want to come pick them up you can have them. Our pet rats went and mated...we separated them but may allow more babies. (FREE)

If they don't have proper CO2 gas apparatus to put the rats to sleep it's illegal. The OSPCA should be called on them! Regardless what they are doing is cruel anyway and should not be allowed!

I have seen that veterinarians use Isoflurane when putting animals under. I'm wondering how humane is this method if someone has to put an animal to sleep?

I have seen that veterinarians use Isoflurane when putting animals under. I'm wondering how humane is this method if someone has to put an animal to sleep?

Not 100% sure if I understand what you are asking but isoforane is the most humane way to render an animal unconscious. Usually isoflurane is just used as an anesthetic so the vet can administer the lethal drug without causing the rat any pain. It can be done with an overdose of isoflurane which would be painless as the animal is already unconscious. The reason CO2 is inhumane is because it is causing suffocation which will cause any living thing to panic and is a terrible way to die.

So if an animal has to be put down for food purposes, which I'm not in favor of, why don't they use Isoflurane instead of CO2?

Well for one it is much more time consuming and waaay more costly to overdose an animal with isoflurane. And second the isoflurane would then be consumed by the animal which isn't healthy.

I reported the ad of the frozen pinkie rats to the Nova Scotia SPCA and sent them a screensnap of the ad, which has been taken down now.

Back