My jake is having breathing problems

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littles

So jake is on theophylline and doxy for his mico but today he took a huge turn for the worst he's was super bad heaving and breathing, I tried doing the bathroom thing but he hates the washroom and freaked, I gave him some Benadryl and it seemed to help a bit and he took some of his meds gotta give him the rest, I'm going to call Dr.munn first thing in the AM and hopefully get him in an oxygen chamber at least and then see if there is anything else we can do. Just need some support as I sit here and count the hours, I also want to know if anyone has any other tips to give me.

Thanks everyone

a tiny piece of dark chocolate may help to keep his airway open
make sure he stays hydrated
If he had a hard time in the bathroom, he may have fluid in his lungs - if so, Lasix would help him to breath as it would get rid of some of the fluid

If is respir ... I would suggest baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib, from pharmacy by prescription from vet) orally twice a day for at least 6 weeks (If that isn't enough try a combo of 3 by adding doxy to the above)

At least you have a good vet ...

{{hugs}}

You could contact lilspaz68 and see if she can help as she is in the GTA too
good luck to you both

Last edited:
Thanks SQ I will ask about those meds at the vets tomorrow Thanks so much will try and see if I have some dark chocolate lying around

We're at the vets now to get the results of his tests they have him in an oxygen tank so hopefully he's a bit more comfortable at least

Thank you we came back from the vets with 2 new medications apparently jake has pneumonia :( so were trying 2 different kinds of antibiotics and some anti anxiety meds to help him relax along with his theophyline

Oh no! I really hope that he gets better, I would hate to see someone else lose their baby to that yucky sickness :( Lots of healing thoughts his way!

Thank you for all the kind words, he seems to be (dare i say, knock on wood for me) better, hes wadling around again and seems super excited about food and his breathing is still heavy but not gasping. I'll keep an eye on him but he seems allot brighter then this morning.

So he's back to breathing hard and he doesn't seem to want to do much but lay around he's been really snuggle lately which makes me think he may just be ready to go join his brother on the bridge :( I think the oxygen tank and the shots of antibiotics helped him yesterday but now he's not himself here are his X-rays
0473e6326ffc71e586090d3e9715bbd0.jpg

He said the lungs r a bit dark and the lump on the right side of his heart is a pocket of his lung which means he has pneumonia

Unfortunately this is almost exactly what happened with my sweet moose and on day 4 of his fight I had to make the choice to let him go...I am sorry that you have to go through this with your baby, it isn't something I would ever want anyone else to experience :( Still sending lots of warm,healing thoughts to you and your boy!

wonder why he isn't on Lasix if he is retaining fluid ....

Have you tried the baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib) combo I mentioned previously?
If not it is worth trying

He's on doxy and azith unfortunately it's hard for him to even take meds I think the theophylline is the same thing as the lasix

Baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib to 15 mg/Ib) is a very effective combo .... I hope you can try it
Also many vets under dose azithromycin

Lasix is not the same. It is a diuretic that removes fluid . It is given temporarily until no longer needed .... and you need to watch for dehydration and be able to give fluids (incl sub-Q fluids if necessary)

Hope you can get back to the vet Monday since the meds are not working

Hi Everyone unfortunately Jake lost his battle at 2 years and 5 months old. He was such a sweet rattie but I am glad he is no longer suffering and is with his brother now hopefully snuggling. Thank you so much for your kind words and encouraging advice. It took me awhile to write this he passed a few months ago, I just needed time to focus on him and then focus on norbert afterwards who never got along with him but definitely was affected by the loss of his neighbour.

Back