Rose might be sick once again!?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatPack

So every since we took in sweet naked girl she has had a noisy nose..She has been through 2 rounds of antibiotics which seems to clear it up for 4-5 days and then it is right back again. She has a home lined up that is patiently waiting but it seems like everytime I give the ok for her to go, something happens and I have to push her adoption back :( Is she just destined to stay with us? or should I try a more aggressive antibiotic round? the past 2 times she was given baytril which works but obviously whatever is going on is a tough cookie.

Have you tried doxy? It might not be a secondary infection so that's probably why it is not really responding to antibiotics. It might be a myco flare up.

I have some that I could try with her...it's only about 10 days worth though but not sure of the dosing for her..She weighs 266grams and the doxy is 32mg/ml

Sometimes 10 days is not enough. If this was my rattie with a stubborn sickness, I would get the vet to give me enough medicine for no less than three weeks to make sure the sickness is all gone. When I rescued my old man Dixon, he was very sick and I kept him on antibiotics for three full weeks along with his nebulizer treatments. That's how long it took to get him better. Poor thing now has cancer and dementia to deal with now.

I have some that I could try with her...it's only about 10 days worth though but not sure of the dosing for her..She weighs 266grams and the doxy is 32mg/ml

Not sure of the dose, but I would for sure switch to doxy. Maybe your vet can help you with that.

Poor old guy :( I will call the vet tomorrow and see if she will give me that much for her but won't be able to get it till tuesday at the soonest....

I agree with Smilez. The length of time for the antibiotics was too short, so all it did was kill off the weaker bacteria. Now the flare up consists of mainly resistant bacteria, so you will need Baytril AND a second drug like Doxycycline. Respiratory diseases in rats are very hard to control and get rid of, and a longer treatment time is vital. Unless the vet is experienced in rats, they generally don't know this.

Back