Sprouts?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velo

Are sprouts okay to feed to rats? I got some for myself and was thinking of sharing.
They are clover, cabbage and fenigreek sprouts. :)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say sure? Cabbage rings a bell - check the forbidden foods...

ETA: raw red cabbage is a no no

Last edited:
Wow. I just read that link Petunia. That's crazy to think that the sprouts can be bad if the seeds are contaminated. Ugh!

yeh I know, right? it's not something I would ever have expected or thought to ask about

I was thinking that maybe some seeds might be bad for you in general, like how apple seeds have, what is it they have in them now?? arsenic is it?
but I never expected there to be pathogens in seeds that could make you sick

!!

I think I'll be keeping the sprouts to myself then. I knew there was something about then, couldn't remember what, but when I order sandwiches from Jimmy Johns with sprouts on them, there is a health warning about eating them. It must be that! I'll have to check that again. I can make the choice to take the risk myself but I'm not going to for the ratties.

thanks, darn I don't recall seeing the red cabbage one before, I knew about raw Brussels sprouts though so I feed them cooked. Me and the ratties LOVE Brussels sprouts
they get a half a sprout each, I get the rest ;-)

I thought the problem with sprouts was fungi and mold because they are grown in dark/damp conditions..?
Idk. People also get e.coli from spinach all the time, there have been outbreaks in the years past because factory farm runoff contaminated fields. It's crazy, but you can't not eat things and compromise your nutrient health. Aren't sprouts supposed to be very healthy, despite some risks?

Hm, never heard of the mold/fungi being an issue. It only takes a few days to sprout seeds, I think fungi and mold take longer to develop.

Like I said, I was wondering for rats, not for humans. I think the good outweighs the bad for humans, especially if you get them from a reputable company (reading up has shown me there are more standards in place for companies so that outbreaks of e coli and salmonella can be prevented).
I actually got them because I like to eat them, not because they are nutritious haha.
One of the biggest nutritional benefits that I am seeing touted is Vitamin C, which is of course not even necessary for a rat. I'm not really seeing anything standing out as exceptionally nutritious for rats (http://sproutpeople.org/growing-sprouts/sprout-nutrition/) that isn't in Oxbow already. I mean they are healthy and whatnot, but I'd rather give something that has no risk when it comes to them. When it comes to me, I'll be shoving them in pitas all day long. :D

Forgot about this thread .... :(

After hearing about how crops in California are now being watered using fracking water, I decided that the grocery store may not be a great place to buy vegs for the ratties since most out of season veg here comes from California.

So I invested in a sprouter and organic sprouting broccoli seeds
I figured that using good organic seed and growing it myself might be a healthier, less expensive way to get greens for the ratties (and me)

So I have a dish of organic broccoli seeds growing ..... hope the ratties like their greens steamed :(

Any thoughts ????

Anyone know anything about sprouts?
I grew some sprouts from organic broccoli sprouting seeds ....
and I am wonder if I need to steam them before giving them to the ratties.
I am also wondering if I need to cut them or if I can just rinse them and clean them a bit and give the ratties a bunch with the roots matted together .... sort of like cat grass except there is no soil.
Obviously it is the top group of spouts in the container that are ready while the ones below are at different stages at growth.
I haven't done this before so wondering ....
Thanks for your thoughts

Last edited:
Last edited:
My sister and her husband eat theirs raw in wraps. It's absolutely delicious and if you are sure yours are completely safe, then I'd just give the whole thing to the rats. Let them dig it out. I bet that will be awesome fun for them.

Back