HEPA Air Purifier does it help?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgreene9398

I'm looking to purchase a HEPA air purifier and I'm wondering if it really helps with Myco and if it makes anything easier for the rats health. I'm sure people have tried out the purifiers with their rats but does it really help them?

I have 2 HEPA filters running in my rat room. I have found it noticeably helps with the smell and allergens. If it helps me, then it must help the rats... I do notice more sneezing when I have the filters off for cleaning, but its hard tot ell if I just hear more since I don't have the white noise of the filters.

I have a HEPA purifier in my rat room. I agree that it helps with the smell (and it helps my fall allergies hehe).
Since we know that stress and discomfort can cause myco flare ups, I say they do help. They reduce smells, clean the air and should be able to purify/remove dust, mold spores, bacteria and pollen (assuming you get a true HEPA air purifier). All of these things make breathing easier and more pleasant for rats. Just like scrubbing all off the pee (ammonia) off of our cages every week, it's a good preventative measure (in my opinion).

A air purifier with a permanent hepa filter and replaceable carbon filters will help air quality.

(Do not get an ionizer as they will cause harm)

We also have a Honeywell HEPA filter, but because we have our girls in our open-plan lower story, I wasn't able to tell a big difference in their respiratory symptoms.

Does anyone know if the continuous noise of a filter bothers rats? I used to have the filter closer to them, but moved it to the next room because of the light and the noise.

Most ionizers release ozone, which is bad for all living beings. With rats being so small, it's much worse for them. Ozone specifically irritates and reduces lung function. Some ionizers release less ozone than others and some don't at all. If you want to use an ionizer it's best to get one that doesn't produce ozone (well actually they all produce some ozone but "ozone free" ones create such a small amount that you can really measure it) I wouldn't recommend putting one in an enclosed rat room though.

Also my purifier is only a few feet from the rats and the noise doesn't bother them. Mines not very loud though (unless I crank it up to the highest level... can't remember what it's called but it's like a super clean function) and the only light is very dim.

Last edited:
Back