Considering re-homing (Barrie, ON)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMC

I am considering re-homing one of my boys, whom I called Lumi. We got him in December as a friend for another boy, Albie, but they don't get along. I realized tonight that Albie is terrified to go in his cage, before he made every attempt to get back in. He is 2 years old and it's just not fair to him. I think he's best off alone. He's been an outcast for a while now for an unknown reason. All of a sudden, no one likes him but we can't find any health reasons why. Maybe he's the problem and just doesn't want mates anymore who knows.

So I was going to intro him to my other males (that don't get along with Albie) and even on neutral ground they try to kill him (same as they did with Albie). I've tried switching cages, they've lived in the same room for 2 months, switching bedding, intros alone, group intros, all of it. Our baby is sick and I spend so much time at the hospital. I don't have the time or the energy to try and make them like each other, they probably never would.

He was born August 1/14, so he is 6 months old. Mostly white with black eyes and a couple black spots. He's friendly but still needs some work. As soon as I walk into the room he comes running to the front of the cage. He grabs my hand with his paws and sniffs and licks it. He is just shy of being picked up. I've only had him for 2 months. So far he's had no health problems, aside from being treated with revolution. I don't know if he has issues with other rats or needs a neuter. He sometimes bullies Albie, and then would go days without. But it's something to prepare for.

I don't want to see him go, I love him and it makes me sad thinking about it, but I think it may be best. Of course, only if I find the right home that will be his forever home. If there is someone who is the right fit for him I think that would be best for everyone. Some pictures on this thread, post #9. He's bigger now.

For boys with attitude problems, the first thing I would try is a neuter. It is a relatively straight-forward procedure and it could make all the difference. And honestly, if it doesn't make a difference, then at least he will be easier to rehome.

I personally don't really think he needs to be neutered. He doesn't get along with Albie, no one does though. And my other boys attack him, which they started doing to Albie as well a few months ago. So I don't think he's the problem. Even if that was the problem, neutering isn't really an option. I don't have the time to go to Toronto to have it done, and then work on intros again. I'm at the hospital with my child almost 24/7 and will be for the next appox. 8 months. My husband is usually home but aside from feeding and playing with them, he knows nothing about rats.

Albie might do well if gradually introed in with a spayed girl or two baby boys (10 to 12 weeks old)

If Lumi really doesn't need a neuter, then he might do well with a spayed girl as well.

I personally don't really think he needs to be neutered. He doesn't get along with Albie, no one does though. And my other boys attack him, which they started doing to Albie as well a few months ago. So I don't think he's the problem. Even if that was the problem, neutering isn't really an option. I don't have the time to go to Toronto to have it done, and then work on intros again. I'm at the hospital with my child almost 24/7 and will be for the next appox. 8 months. My husband is usually home but aside from feeding and playing with them, he knows nothing about rats.

I'm so sorry your child is in the hospital, that's an awful lot of stress.
I hope someone will be able to take your boy- I'm in the states so can't help but I'll ask around

I can try to find someone to meet me and take him here. Try him with a few of my groups! I have some super great easy intro groups. And if that doesn't work I'll neuter him and put him with Goddess and Oracle, the girls will keep him in line :)
Let me talk to some friends who have helped with transport before.

I can try to find someone to meet me and take him here. Try him with a few of my groups! I have some super great easy intro groups. And if that doesn't work I'll neuter him and put him with Goddess and Oracle, the girls will keep him in line :)
Yay!!!!

That would be really great if you are able to take him in. Like I said, I don't want to see him go but I really do think it's best for him and that's most important. If circumstances were different and I wasn't going to be at the hospital all the time, I would definitely do everything possible to keep him here and happy.

If it helps at all, I live right behind the GO train station. I'm really happy he will go to someone who loves rats and neuter him if it turns out he does need it. He's a really good, handsome boy. I'll be sad to see him go.

Ok! Got ahold of Lindsay!
She will pick him up and bring him halfway for me. We are just trying to pick a day (probably Tuesday if possible weather permitting) does that work for you?

Back