will hydrogen peroxide sterilize a cage? how long until a rat can be put in?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caeser

After hydrogen peroxide is used to clean a cage. how long should you wait before you can put a rat back in there? Also, is hydrogen peroxide a good chemical to use to sterilize a cage from possible infection from a rat?

Hydrogen peroxide breaks down within minutes, it especially breaks down in sunlight. It should be fine after 10-15 minutes! Also it is pretty harmless even if you get some in your mouth, it just foams a little and breaks down even faster (into water and oxygen). I don't think it would hurt rats.

Just make sure you are using it in an opaque bottle (such as the one it comes in) so the sunlight doesn't reach it. Also do not use the marketed cleaner on the shelves with hydrogen peroxide, like the clorox ones, they are full of scents.

Thanks for the reply's :) got up at 8 to go to a breeder to get my 2 new boys,there both dwarf rats, i did the cleaning all last night and everything seems great :) pictures soon

Back