Very good information here

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of us are not a fan of.Debbie D and some of her archaic information and suggestions, unfortunately there is good inform there but it's mixed up with the bad, sovwe don't recommend her stuff.

As much as I tend to cringe when I hear Debbie D being quoted, the page itself is pretty good basic information for someone who wants to know some bare facts about rats. Speaking only for that one page and not any other page or links out.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Debbie D does have a knack of having archaic information out there, but just speaking for this page alone, it's an ok beginner's guide.

The minimum cage size of 14" X 12" X 24" is straight up wrong though. You can barely fit one rat in there, nonetheless 2.
And, a good portion of the entire Common Health Problems section is... not agreeable. Some of it was 100% un-agreeable, like not treating a rat who has been degloved. X_X
But if one is using it as general background info, it gets the job done.

This did make me a bit uncomfortable/sad though
http://www.petrats.org/images/rats1.jpg

Thank you, I'm still learning myself and was unaware there is bad information on this page and im glad you guys brought it to my attention. It's hard to know what is really good information and what's not.

This did make me a bit uncomfortable/sad though
http://www.petrats.org/images/rats1.jpg

That is awful beyond belief and so untrue !!!

I have always found her rat health care book to be useful - as long as you ignore the section on home euthanasia.
But that post makes me lose all respect.

People running that site should be banned from the rat owners community !

That is awful beyond belief and so untrue !!!

I have always found her rat health care book to be useful - as long as you ignore the section on home euthanasia.
But that post makes me lose all respect.

People running that site should be banned from the rat owners community !

She says to use amoxi for everything even viruses. Her tactics are old school. I am kinda shocked you of all people would even say this. She even says tanks are ok. I seen that book used it to wipe my butt the only thing it is good for.

She says to use amoxi for everything even viruses. Her tactics are old school. I am kinda shocked you of all people would even say this. She even says tanks are ok. I seen that book used it to wipe my butt the only thing it is good for.

I learned about baytril + azithromycin, an extremely effective combo, from her health care book, how to humanely pts rats using gas, how to treat rats with chf and many other things many many years ago when I encountered various rat health issues for the first time

I guess I agree with the previous post by Jorats

But I agree hopefloats, tanks are not ok and clavamox is only effective against secondary infections

Last edited:
Back