Tumors :/

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emma

I hate tumors. I absolutely hate them. I guess I should start getting used to them after having seven females... But, you know, I hate them.

Lily now has a tumor, by her front left arm. It started about a month ago, it's gotten so much bigger. :(

And yesterday, I saw that Shadow now has a tumor! Yay! :/ It's by her groin area. :(

I was talking with a friend, and from experience with the vets around here ($$), I've decided that it's too expensive to remove them. *sigh*

I feel absolutely terrible about it... :'(

But I'm not going to let them suffer. Once they start losing mobility or start getting lethargic/not eating well (they're fatties) I think I'm gonna have them put down. :sad3:

But then there's the whole internal issue and everything and I don't want them to be in pain before they go or start showing symptoms like not eating. And I would hate for the tumor to grow huge but for them to be still healthy besides that.

UGH.

Sorry, I needed to share.. I'll see if I can get pics up so you guys can confirm that they're just benign mammary tumors. (Though a vet visit would be nice...)

Last edited:
I had one girl that had mobility issues - she dragged her belly on the floor to move around. So when she had a tumor, we couldn't remove it because the incision would never have healed. I absolutely HATED putting down this lovely, sweet girl when the skin over her tumor ruptured. If I had to do it over again, I probably would do the surgery and bandage her or something. It was awful saying goodbye to my sweet Jazzy.
So, long story short, I would encourage you to do the surgery. Different vets charge different prices. Don't assume what it will cost. Ask.
My girl Tabi just had a mammary tumor removed. I want her to live a long time and not to die from something treatable like a mammary tumor.

In the future, spaying your girls early on can bring down the risk of mammary tumours. I haven't dealt with tumours in forever, since having my females spayed.

And those #%&*)N PTs !!! Not having you and your rattie go through those type of tumors is priceless.

Back