Rat suddenly very lethargic

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specialagt

My rat Ahab (~1 y/o) began acting very lethargic & weak, when I pick him up he is limp and slow to react. Currently he is laying in the corner of his cage wrapped in an old t shirt
He'll accept water, but isn't very interested in any food

Just yesterday he was acting happy, healthy and active.

I have no clue what it could be, except that yesterday when I let him run around my room he found some chewing gum I left out, but I took it away before he could eat too much. Could that be it?

His cage mate is perfectly fine and full of energy

Help please! I'm very worried

The only vet close to me that sees rats is closed for the day, I'm taking him tomorrow for sure but I was hoping there is something I can do in the mean time

If the gum is causing a blockage I wouldn't force him to eat any food. Can you tell if he's pooping/urinating? Can you feel anything in his tummy?

He isn't pooping, not sure if he's urinating. I can't feel anything, but then again I'm not really sure what I should be feeling for

He could also have had a stroke, or eaten something poisonous to him when he was roaming (I'm not too worried about the gum.) I hope he does OK and your vet can figure out what is going on. Good luck!

Back