QOL Call - Alduin has left for the Bridge

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHermit

I know generally we make the call when the rat has lost its appetite, but I am on the fence with Alduin right now and not sure how to proceed at the vet tomorrow.

He has a thread called "Alduin & Klaus" which is mostly for him, but here I'd like to discuss the possibility of letting him go. It's really hard but even with an appetite, Al's QOL is very low.

He eats small amounts at a time and his appetite fluctuates by day. One day I will have to sit and keep offering him a food before he'll take it and eat it, the next day he'll take whatever I give him until it seems like he's had a full meal.

His energy levels are very, very low. He has no interest in coming out of the cage. He won't hang out with Klaus, who tries but Al turns away from him or pushes him away with his hand. He won't groom properly - I've never had to trim his nails for him before, but I do now.

Last night he choked after finishing a cashew. At least it looked like retching, it was awful. I couldn't get a video because by the time I ran to get my phone it was over. Today I got home and he was fine, even nibbling a lab block, and I gently picked him up and weighed him quickly (he's a pitiful 435g right now). By the time I got him back in the cage he was open mouth breathing, not quite gasping.

He spends all his time hanging his head over the edge of the shelf or in the cube. He seems so down... like he's only fighting because I'm making him fight.

He's on a doxy/baytril combo that doesn't seem to be doing much help, and is on infant ibu. I believe without the infant ibu he would be much worse.

The only time he seems happy is if I offer avocado. He's all about avocado. Other than that it's like he's just hanging on.

His weight is steadily declining despite me trying to feed him as many healthy and even unhealthy fats as possible. Cottage cheese, unsalted nuts, avocado, boiled or scrambled eggs and bits of my human food (toast, a bit of salmon sometimes, etc) are what I've been offering morning and night - PLUS the usual veggies. He gets loads of extras twice a day and in between, but I can't slow down his weight loss!

On January 21st he was 465g - he's lost 30 grams in a week despite my efforts.

There is a possibility he has PT as well, he shows some symptoms. Hopefully the vet will be able to tell, so he's seeing the vet at 5pm tomorrow and depending on what she says, he might not be coming home with me. I have no idea how tomorrow will go but based on all this...

I just wanted to know what you guys think...

EDIT: My instinct tells me he is unhappy but "OK" but as his weight declines, even though he eats, his QOL declines because he has no energy to do much more than focus on breathing and eating...

Last edited:
It's Such a tough call but I think your gut.is.right and.he.has very little QOL and you might.consider letting.him go...so sorry hun. :(
It's OK... I just don't see the sense in letting him waste away any more just because he'll eat for me... I was so convinced that it is the same thing Rupert had that when someone (Joanne or jorats?) mentioned PT I didn't want to believe it would be that. If it is then I know I couldn't do much but medicate to delay the inevitable like I've been trying to do with his lungs.

Or it's both, and he started with Rupert's issue and developed PT as well...

He really didn't deserve this. He was such a loving little guy.

Your boy sounds just like our Throttle. Our guy has lost over 200 grams that is due to the rapid breathing and its impossible to keep the weight on them. He loves avocados too. We actually had him at the vet about 2 1/2 weeks ago to have him pts and backed out as they were setting up.

Have you tried lasix or metacam? Our guy is cardiac though not lungs. Lasix can work for both.

Wish you ths best - that decision is the worst to make.

Your boy sounds just like our Throttle. Our guy has lost over 200 grams that is due to the rapid breathing and its impossible to keep the weight on them. He loves avocados too. We actually had him at the vet about 2 1/2 weeks ago to have him pts and backed out as they were setting up.

Have you tried lasix or metacam? Our guy is cardiac though not lungs. Lasix can work for both.

Wish you ths best - that decision is the worst to make.

If there is anything the vet can give me or suggest that can increase is QOL to where he can put weight back on, I'm all for trying it.

Thank you.

Lasix can remove fluid. Metacam can be used for pain or as an anti inflammatory. Our guy was on baytril/doxy, but we had to put him back on flagyl since that is the only thing that will keep his jaw abscess under control. He's also on enalapril for cardiac issue. We've had our long term lung boys on baytril, doxy, and theophylline

Lasix can remove fluid. Metacam can be used for pain or as an anti inflammatory. Our guy was on baytril/doxy, but we had to put him back on flagyl since that is the only thing that will keep his jaw abscess under control. He's also on enalapril for cardiac issue. We've had our long term lung boys on baytril, doxy, and theophylline

He's already on infant ibuprofen for pain, which I think is an anti inflammatory as well. I'll bring up lasix if the vet hears fluid in his lungs but he barely makes a noise unless he's stressed at all, then he starts gasping.

Last night when I tried to weigh him, he ended up gasping. And today when I found that scab the first thing I did was take him out to see it in better light and he was gasping in seconds.

He's probably going to gasp all the way to the vet and the entire time we're there :sad3:

Yea, Throttle does that too especially when we give him meds he gets so stressed out and he ends up breathing harder

Just got back from the vet. She suggested a (bronchilator?) that would open his lungs more but wouldn't help the scaring and damage that's already occurred - said it might give him a boost, but only maybe. She also thought he may have heart failure as well, and when I asked what the chances of helping are if we did anything about it and she just shook her head and I asked, "would it buy another month?" she said "maybe."

But just traveling and being weighed there, he was gasping for air... that was no way for him to live. All he had the energy for was breathing and eating.

Alduin was PTS at 5:40 pm this evening, January 29th 2015.

I'll post a memorial when I can actually see straight...

I sort of haven't accepted yet that this actually happened and I won't wake up tomorrow with Alduin here. I know he's not struggling or suffering anymore, and he can go play with Rupert at the bridge, and play as hard as he wants. There's no icky feelings or aching lungs holding him back anymore. I just keep wondering if there was something we hadn't thought of, something to turn him around... but denial is the first stage of mourning...

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but it sounds like you did the right thing. I haven't found breathing treatments helpful - just more stressful for them.

RIP sweet boy ♡♡

I'm so sorry you said goodbye to your little man today. You definitely did everything you could to help him, but we all have to leave this world sometime, and it was his time. I think not being able to breathe would be awful, and I'm sure he is glad he doesn't have to struggle any more.
:hugs:

I just read through your post. I'm in a very similar boat with my girl Zelda. She was 2 in August and has had 4 mammary tumor removal surgeries. This last one brought her down hard. My instinct was to not do it, but my vet said if she was his rat he would, that they recover very well. She didn't recover well from this one. One of the wounds got infected and she's got the labored breathing and won't eat. Yesterday, she nibbled. Today, nothing. I just got back from the vet again, ready to hear it's time to say goodbye, but he gave her a penicilin and B12 injection and said she might pull through. She's so listless and hangs her head over the hammock, too. Did I do the right thing by trying to save her? Is her QOL going to improve? I am prepared to make the gas chamber I had to do for our girl Minnie last winter when pneumonia took her, but Zelda was our first girl and is that one pet that really gets into your heart. This deathwatch vigil has been very draining on the whole family. I am about at my wit's end. I'm sorry yours didn't end better.

Back