Blizzard & snow day

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

Usually, no matter how bad the weather, the school kids get the day off and the rest of us go out there on icy roads to work.
Today was different. The blizzard was bad enough that even the army base, the biggest mall, and the universities were closed. Just about everything else, too. Even the buses stopped at 0915 this morning.

So I had my first complete snow day in a very long time. Should have relaxed, but I had a lot of cooking and laundry to do (On the weekend I onlynhad time for rat laundry!)
Now to sit back with a cup of tea...

I swamped out the DCN and put the five Nakies and the two Furries all together. I'm hoping it will work out - I miss having one big group.
I also shovelled for two hours. I call it 'going to nature's gym'. LOL
I was disappointed with the storm though. Rather 'meh' for all the hype!

Cool! I love snow days - great time to cozy up and get some unexpected snuggles in with the ratties. You must have had quiet a lot to close down when stuff would usually be open despite snow.

Well, honestly I think we are growing up a society of wimps. The day after the storm school was closed too, because some back roads were still slippery. So instead of telling a few kids to walk out to the end of their road or get the parents to drive them, all the schools were closed. This seems ridiculous to me. How are these children going to function in the real world when they don't get to stay home from work every time it snows. We live in Canada, people! It snows! :cuss:
Ok, end of rant... LOL

I have the same rant many times a year. They close the schools at the drop of a hat here in NB.
We are probably going to have another blizzard tomorrow night into Tuesday. I was marooned yesterday because of another one.

At least we now have lots of snow for winter sports!

Hey Joanne I totally Agree I think we had maybe 1 snow day at school when I was young and I actually walked to school it was about 5 ft of snow lol kids these days are spoiled remember when you actually had to call someone at home and make plans to go to the movies and then you had to be on time cause there was no way of texting anyone you were gonna be late!

Godmother where r u situated in im in toronto ontario and just now we're getting a bit of a snow .... I wouldn't call it a stir m some people would but I'm just calling it winter :p

It is because of so many children being bused ....
when the weather and roads are bad, there is a large possibility of tragedy
..... and school buses don't even have seat belts, can become stuck in snow drifts on the unplowed rural roads etc
plus there is the risk that even if children can be transported to school on the buses, if you are having a bad storm it may be to dangerous or impossible to drive the children home by bus - and once children are at school it becomes a logistical nightmare to send them home early ......

Better to cancel school then to have children die, school buses stuck or in ditches, or children stuck at schools etc
Not to mention that children that do walk to school may be in danger if sidewalks are impassable or visibility is poor (children can be hit by drivers if visibility is poor, or if they have to walk on the road, etc)

It isn't that children are spoiled or are wimps ......
But you could complain that parents and society are wimps .... because they don't want to risk the lives of children traveling (sometimes for hours) in bad weather/poor road conditions on school buses

Last edited:
I was a bussed child going to school - I remember sticking my tongue to the metal window frame, I remember hitting a bump one day and flying up and out of my seat (which was awesome, by the way), but never do I remember getting stuck in the bus, or any kids getting hurt in an accident all those years. We might have had two or three snow days in the whole year.
If the back road is too slippery, then you walk out to the main road or get a drive to the road. Wimps, I tells ya!

Not necessarily - they bow to the vocal few. Sometimes it is warranted, sometimes it's over-reaction.

True, and they have to cancel school so early in the am, basically the middle of the night, that it is a guess as to what the weather and roads will be like later that day .... sometimes they get it right and sometimes not

Why couldn't the kids in town have school instead of missing classes because of people who live far out? or why couldn't they equip the buses with winter tires? That would be cheaper than closing schools so often in the winter.
And, when the roads are icy, nobody but emergency workers should be required to go out. Cars can be equipped for snow, but not for freezing rain and ice.
I object to the double standard, especially when I'm driving in the dark on roads with black ice.

Why couldn't the kids in town have school instead of missing classes because of people who live far out? or why couldn't they equip the buses with winter tires? That would be cheaper than closing schools so often in the winter.

Maybe you should take that up with your local school board and buses do have winter tires.

And, when the roads are icy, nobody but emergency workers should be required to go out. Cars can be equipped for snow, but not for freezing rain and ice.
I object to the double standard, especially when I'm driving in the dark on roads with black ice.

Perhaps you should discuss this with your employer as they are the ones who determine when you are expected at work.

We never have snow days here. Sometimes the kids can't be bussed, but the schools are always still open. As for businesses... I don't ever recall any of them closing due to snow or cold. And we get our fair share of blizzards and extreme cold. I sure would appreciate a snow day from time to time. It's nice not having to risk your neck just for work. Only once, in my 23 years with my company, I had to call in for not showing up for work.

I work with booked appointments all day. If everyone cancels, then I can't work, so sometimes I get a snow day by default.
They closed the schools at lunchtime today because the rain was going to change to snow. Ooooh!
Guaranteed the schools will be closed tomorrow.

Wow... They are very cautious in your neck of the woods Joanne. We've been getting -43 (w/wind chill) temps and no school closing.
Hence the reason Godmother and I think half the time it's excessive. They seem to think if a couple of kids can't make it in, that everybody should stay home. It's political, not practical.

Back