Help! Possibly pregnat ratty with discharge!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tydin

We recently have taken in a female rescue who we suspect was housed with intact males, and now about an hour ago from me posting this, I have noticed some brownish discharge coming from her vagina. I havent noticed any kind of contractions happening (The side of her body look pretty relaxed) She is a bit bigger then my other girls, and has some weight on her side, she has yet to have it all shift into the middle like I have read often happens before birth. Is this normal? or an infection? Or, a sign that she may be going into labor? I'll be going to check on her again after I post this to see if there is a clear up of it, or more or change in color. We took her on about 3 weeks ago so, techically if she is, I would imagine she would be due about now. We saw no need originally to check at the vets if she is, as no matter the outcome, we would have let her have them. I'm not crazy about the whole idea of galastop.

That could be the beginning of labour. This far along in her pregnancy, it would show very much that she's pregnant, in fact, you should be able to see and feel the babies more.

sorry for the delay,
I checked on her again before bedtime and there was a bit less, and this morning there was no longer any to be seen, having just gotten home from work, I checked on her right away and lo and behold there it was again, but more then last night. I heard that it can take 24 hours sometimes from the first show till the birthing actually begins, is this true? It's still a burgundy color substance, with no smell to it, I also noticed some of it dried on the paper towel I gave her for nesting. She's currently cuddled up to her cage mate for company. I also want to note that the discharge is slightly clear in colour, not at all opaque. I am a little worried now. I can't see any tummy movement, and feel nothing when I stroke her tummy. I am reluctant to press any harder to try to feel something.

also she seems more relaxed lately, and more bruxy too. Though she isn't as comfortable with her cage mate as she once was. She's forever facinated with people though and wants to be out the cage a lot more.

Last edited:
Usually when a rat is pregnant, she has a pretty big belly. If she doesn't, then perhaps she has pyometra or a bladder infection. I think she should see a vet.

Back