Constantly in heat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaz14xxx

My rat Odette is around 16 months old had her since she was 5/6 weeks old and she's constantly in heat. My girls are out for at least an hour everyday and its hard to think of a time where she hasn't been in heat, she must be in heat for at least 5/6 days out of every 7 days. I thought it was weird when i realised just how often she was in heat, but then just sorta thought nothing of it and that its just her. But is it weird? Is that an indication of something being wrong? she's done it ever since i can remember. Anyone else had a rat that was constantly in heat?

she's also actually very sensitive she doesn't like being grabbed or picked up, she will squeak, she's more of a "ill come to you in my own sweet time, thank you" kinda rat. And that kind of behaviour is just getting worse and worse, dread the day I need to take her to the vet because she'll make it so difficult for them to handle her. Don't get me wrong she's friendly and social, she'll come running over to me, climb my leg to get to me, groom my ears, has learnt a few tricks, she just is very much the boss lol.

Just from the way she acts, the arching her back, vibrating ears, jumping around like a frog? Unless it's like false heat or something?

That seems like heat to me. Perhaps there is something wrong with her ovaries. Have you considered spaying her? Perhaps her attitude will change too. My girls are always zippy, zoomy, hands-off squeaky when in heat.

Nope, i don'thave any males. Just the 6 girls that live together.

I really wanted to spay them. It seems like so many people do. An when they were like 5 months I went to two vets to ask about spaying and they both really put me off doing it. They questioned me on why, and said it's really risky with the anesthetic as their such small animals. Maybe it's not as common practice in the UK or maybe the 2 vets I've seen just aren't that knowledgeable/experienced vets idk but put me off I thought I'd rather a happy rat live till 2 years of a tumour than an operation that kills her at 5 months, I'd be devastated.
Is 16 months too old now? Maybe I need to find a better vets? Because I really do think getting her spayed is a good idea even if she doesn't have a problem with her ovaries or anything, all those extra hormone chemicals must put her at an even higher risk or tumours.

It's definitely not common practice in the UK. But slowly and surely, people are coming around to the idea. One thing I have noticed though is that the rat girls in the UK don't seem to be as prone to mammary tumours as ours.

Back