Jake is over 2 but now wadling?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littles

Hey everyone HAppy New Year!!!!

The other day I was trying to figure out how old Jake is, and my boyfriend and I realized that hes about 2 years and 3 months!!! Hes still super active for an oldie and hes eating well, he could probably lose a few grams, and hes on anti-anxiety meds but hes happy! About a month ago though I noticed that hes been wadling. He doesnt hold his bottom end off the floor at all and when he goes to clean his face he can only clean it for a few strokes before he has to put one front paw down. We think he might have hurt or has arthristis on one side or both he doesnt squeak when touching them or flinch. I recently put in his ramp and put a cover on it and he cant seem to figure out how to come down it gracefully. He also sometimes has problems with jumping up onto things. So i am worried that his hind legs are bugging him.
I am trying to get some video but had to start this thread first before i could upload from my phone.

Thanks everyone for your help Ill be making a appointment with dr Munn hopefully this week or next.

Update: jake has been lethargic today and he wouldn't eat his kibble only mushy food I found him cold and heavy breathing made a Dr Munn appointment but then he started wheezing really bad wasn't sure he was gonna make it. At the vets now he's gonna go on antibiotics and some anti inflammatory because we think he might have arthritis

so jake is on a combo of Doxy baytril and metacam norbert is on azithromycin?
both rats are back at home i was given a "rat kit" with some mushy food for him and I will be buying a scale later today so I can monitor jakes weight any suggestions?

thanks

oh they also put him in the oxygen chamber for a bit and injected some fluids Thanks rattiemom for the kind words :)

oh I hope they do ok! I get baby cereal and mix it with soy or almond milk and sometimes add some baby fruit fruit or even veggies. You can also soak lab blocks/Regal rat and give him those if he's not wanting to eat anything too hard

Hey petunia yeah Dr Munn gave me a critical care rat kit with both the omnivore and herbivore powders in it, he ate about half of the serving and he did munch on a few pieces of kibble I also gave him some egg today I'm gonna see how he feels in the morning it's easier to give him the meds with my morning shake I gave him his antibiotics but it was a fight. Sigh why can't they just live to 7! That's a good number 2 is way too little time to have them [emoji17]

hes doing better he ate all his meds this morning all 4 of them but hes still a little bit slow and extremely shy probably because hes been poked and prodded and force fed the past 2 days but his breathing has gotten a bit better i feel like maybe the meds are kicking in? I dont know. but thank you for your kind words appreciate the prayers.

I hope your boy is feeling better soon! I have found that all of my rats have mobility issues if they live long enough, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. But breathing is an entirely different matter!

Thanks Joanne jake is doing much better now!!! So amazing as to what a few days on antibiotics will do he's on them for 3 weeks but within the first day of having them he was way better! Dr munn also gave me some anti inflammatory for his old body lol I do need to buy a scale though is there one that's a good recommendation?

The main thing is you want a scale that is appropriate for a rat's weight range, so get one that goes up to around 3 lbs. and will switch to grams.
I got a postal scale from Staples and it works fine.

So glad to hear that Jake is doing better! It's heartbreaking to see them have respiratory distress.
I use a postal scale for mine. They last for many years. I put a little container on top for weighing, since none of them will sit still on the weighing pan.

Thanks godmother he started wheezing a bit today but the vet said to wait a bit longer for the meds to settle in, and yes I'll have to go out tomorrow to look for a scale

Update: jake and I just came back from Dr.munns and he is now on theoplyine I believe it is, and amitzo something lol I'm hoping this will help his little breathing episodes.

Back