I did it again. Got another Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanya

Rat Enthusiast
So today I drove an hour and a half away to pick up a 8 month old (presumably) male rat. And boy am I glad I did.
Keep in mind, this lady said that she has kept over 22 rats at once before..
So we get back home, and I take him out of the aquarium he was in. And oh. my. gosh. He had that crappy pellet, food looking bedding. It smelled. He was only in a 10 gallon. So I dump out the bedding, and I find...mold. Yes, mold. White mold, yellow, AND green. :redhot:
No wonder the poor thing has a squeaky nose. He also has a rough coat. I gave him an olive oil bath to maybe help, and keep mites away if he has them until I can take him to the vet on Friday. Tomorrow I will be calling them to get some meds to hold him over. My poor little dude. He is a gray berkshire with dumbo ears. He is pretty adorable. He was bruxing when I was cuddling him a few minutes ago. I will be getting you better soon little buddy!

Last edited:
What a poor little thing! People are such morons. I am SO glad he's with you, I bet he's going to have an amazing life now :urock: He's so cute and I love that he was bruxing, sounds like he's gonna charm the pants off you! Keep us updated with photos!

He's got scabs all over? That's most like mites or lice. You are getting red bumps when he walks on you? That sounds like hives/welts from allergies. I get those all the time.

Yeah. My mom was, and she never gets an allergic reaction from the rats though. Hopefully the olive oil works for now. He has an appointment on Friday at 3:00p.m. :cheerful:
I don't see any on him today but my mom said they were red.

He is pretty adorable. Just held him and now I am so itchy! I am never like that with my ratties. Definitely think these are lice

Last edited:
So Matteo(his name now) after a few days of olive oil baths, got an actual bath today to get off any buggers. His cage also got disinfected. Holding him now in a towel and he's shaking a little. But he's calming down after all the cuddles and kisses.

Will be posting a vid of him bruxing as soon as it uploads. It's funny because my mom was freaking out cause she had never seen it before. :giggle: She had never seen their eyes bulging. He is in his cage eating now :)

D'awww, what a happy boy! I love when they boggle - it looks so funny but you know they are so happy. :)
You may have been getting a reaction to him because of his filthy living conditions. Perhaps you are even reacting to the mold and not to him. I'll bet things will feel a lot better after his bath.

He is very happy now! We have vet at 3pm tomorrow. Hope he is overall okay other than his URI and buggies. Will post an update tomorrow :toothy1: For now he is sleeping in his fleece. :kisskiss:

So baby has Ivimec(Spelling? Sorry) and amox. Vet was awesome, just saw him for the first time, and he seemed knowledgeable. Will keep posting updates

Back